Elevated ALT/AST

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my annual blood work and everything was great except my ALT/AST levels were 92/100. Last year they were 80 each.  I’m on a triglycerides med and my GP said last year the rise could be from that. I do drink wine but I hit it hard this summer on our boat (Mimosas, Bloody Marys and wine on weekends.).  He scheduled an ultrasound in my liver and I’m scared to death. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi. SUre it will be the medication you are on.    Have one less Bloody Mary! Good luck with ultrasound- sure it will be fine.
    • Posted

I'm hoping a medical professional responds to this as I am not sleeping and have been a wreck.  

• Posted

hello,I have had cirrhosis of the liver for ten years now and I was really scared because I only weighed sixty pounds and i was bloated and yellow.i was on deaths door.when I finally got out of the hospital,The first thing that I did was not drink anymore and that was no problem.Idid not have to go to alcoholics anonymous or any thing like that I just quit.I started taking really good care of myself and my levels went down.My doctor couldn't believe it.I'm sure I still have cirrhosis or maybemy liver isn't badly damaged but at the end of the day,it's important to not drink alcohol no matter what.Don't be scared because your levels will go back to normal as long as you do not consume any alcohol.Good luck

• Posted

Hi Virginia, what a great post.  That is what we on here want to hear, it is a hard slog for some of us and we just keep at it.  But to read something as positive as this makes you want to go the extra mile.

I am sure Jeannine will appreciate it, as do I smile

So glad you are feeling much better - good on you.

• Posted

Virginia, that’s a wonderful positive post. Thanks for sharing, gave up drinking wine about two and a half years ago. Although I didn’t drink every day I  often went over the 14 units at the weekend. My LFTs have always been ok, but I don’t take anything for granted. I do have a sweet tooth, but try my best to keep it to a minimum. Wishing everyone continued good health.
  • Posted

Hi jeannine,

Your levels are only slightly raised, numbers like that are really not likely to be due to something sinister. Statins do elevate liver enzymes and are likely the cause. I really wouldn't worry. Let us know how the ultrasound goes! 

Do you have the other numbers for your liver function btw? 

• Posted

All my other liver numbers were within range - it was just the ALT and AST.  I had my ultra sound this morning and my doctor called and said except for a little fatty liver starting, everything looked great.  Told me to start exercising and eating better and lower my alcohol content.  Already bought a stationary chair for my hubby and I and started a new diet plan on Monday .
    • Posted

Okay, that's fine. So you just need to cut back on the booze, no more than 14 units a week with alcohol free days. Watch what you eat a bit more. If you're overweight then weight loss is the key. Then you're sorted! 

If you have any questions let me know! 

aa

• Posted

Definitely!  14 units will be no problem at all after what I have been going through this last week.  Certainly puts things in perspective.  I'm not overweight but I could certainly eat much better.  Thank you so much!  A support group when you are scared is so appreciated.  

• Posted

Great news.    When my ALT level was up I cut down to 14 units a week with 2 days off and within a month they were back to normal. You'll be fine I'm sure.

• Posted

Hi! I know this thread is old but hoping someone will reply. My recent ALT was 140 and AST 80. I had been drinking heavily for a couple weeks prior to the test. My doctor basically said I can't drink anymore but from what I'm reading that's kind of an overreaction isn't it? I have since cut back. Will those numbers go down while still having a couple light beers a night instead MANY.

Thanks,

Jim

• Posted

Wonderful. Just remembered I should of added that fatty liver is a totally reversible condition. With lifestyle adjustments your liver will repair itself over the next few months 

aa

• Posted

Good to know. I have also been reading a lot about hydration.  I know I don't hydrate well with just water so I've added Gatorade (low calorie) to my morning routine as well as CoQ10 daily.  He pulled me off my Tricor until my next blood draw in 8 weeks to see how the levels adjust.  

• Posted

Hi guys I just came across this post and found it very helpful I hope u don't mind me chiming in. I also about 4 months ago was told i had a mind fatty liver and my alt and ast were alsy a little elevated. They are now both in the mid 30s when i last had my blood drawn. I also got extremely scared when they told me if i dident do anything about it it could turn to chirrohos. I immediately changed my diet I lost 35 pounds still have 20 to go to where my doctor wants me to be at. My question is is how long does it take to get your liver back to normal and healthy where it should b. I have luck on my side with the drinking part I don't drink at all I'm not a drinker I was just overweight because I loved food lol. Ty in advance for any responses. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.