25cm Ovarian Cyst...very worried!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Three weeks ago, an ultrasound scan revealed a 25cm cyst on my left ovary. I have had absolutley no symtoms other than a large distended stomach, but I was away travelling for a few months and I thought it was just my diet until the ultrasound. Three weeks later, I still have no symptoms other than a very big tummy! I have had an MRI scan last week and I had my appointment with my gyneocologist this morning. I have been told I will require surgery and due to the size of the cyst, key hole is unlikely. My consultant also said they may have to remove my left ovary due to the size of the cyst... I am only 22 so I am very very worried about this!! I have a few questions, which if anyone could answer, I will be very grateful! 

Has anyone had a cyst of a similar size before who could tell me what happened?

How painful is the operation and how long does it take to recover post op? 

I have been told I am being referred as urgent, but I still may be waiting up to 6 weeks. Is this normal / have people experienced their appointments being brought forward?

If i do loose my ovary, how will this affect my fertility? Will i still be able to get pregnant with only one ovary?

Thank you in anticipation! 

Rachel

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel. Sorry you have such a large cyst but be positive! Women can and do have children after one ovary removal. The other one takes over within a short time and you won't know the difference. Is it a simple cyst or dermoid? Either way surgery is necessary so be brave. Hope you get your operation soon. Best wishes. xxx rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I am not sure whether it is a simple or dermoid cyst, but i have been told it is only fluid filled cyst! So hopefully that is a good thing? but i have no idea! Fingers crossed for surgery, just hope it can be done as soon as possible as i am worried how much bigger this cyst could grow in the 6 weeks before my operation!! xxx
    • Posted

Fluid cysts are 'simple ones'! They might drain it first and then remove what's left. Six weeks is not that long and feel reassured that if it was considered really serious they would operate sooner than that! If you start getting really severe pain which you can't cope with you should go to your nearest A&E, (in UK) or emergency room elsewhere, in case it's twisted. Keep posting on here and let us know how you get on. Best wishes Poll. x smile

• Posted

Hi Hun,

Really sorry to hear about your ovarian cyst. I've had 2 very large ones. One when I was 16 and another in December when I was 26. The last one I had the gynaecologist told me I would loose my ovary too and I was absolutely deveatated as like yourself I have no children but I was assured that fertility can still happen with one ovary.

Like yourself I didn't have any symptoms on either of my cysts except looking slightly pregnant 😂 My last cyst started to grow very fast and I end up getting my operation moved forward however it burst before I got the operation whilst I was in Austria on a work trip 🙈 But the silver lining was that they saved my ovary!

I had my operation 30th November and was back to work for the beginning of January.

The surgery I had was something like a c section and I won't lie it's painful for first week or so but you'll start to feel stronger every day and you'll be right as rain in no time!

Don't be too worried!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a message!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and sending lots of healing your way!

• Posted

Hi, 

I am 26 and had my operation just over 2 weeks ago (3 on Wednesday).  I had no symptoms other than a little bit of a swollen stomach which I just assumed was bloating.  My cyst was 18 cm. The surgeon hoped to have done key hole surgery on me but due to myself having previous surgery that left adhesions I had a laparotomy and my right ovary was removed.  My scar isn't bad either which is neat and sits and my pant/ bikini line area. I got out of hospital five days after surgery.

I didn't find much pain at all after the operation.  I was given a lot of pain killers which obviously kept the pain away. However, I personally felt really tired  and found it really difficult to move around - but that's to be expected after most operations.  

Hope what I've wrote helps you even if just a little  and I'm sure you'll feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.