25MG metoprolol tartrate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everybody! For those who did not read my last thread or so, I got an SVT ablation a week ago from today. I was really struggling with constant palpitations, and they were happening almost everywhere.. especially when I woke up in the morning, though FINALLY all of my palpitations stopped and I now feel normal for the most part.. HOWEVER, the Dr (as he would after every ablation) told me to continue taking my beta blocker (metoprolol) for the next few days, or until I see my cardiologist. Now my question is, I've been experiencing extreme fatigue when waking up in the morning, as well as groggy/mild dizziness/weakness throughout the day.. now.. if the procedure fixed my heart problem is it possible the beta blocker is the one causing the fatigue, dizziness and weakness? I also get some heat flashes and it just makes me believe that it's making my heart beats/blood pressure lowing causing these.. but i want another persons imput.. 

In short: Could metoprolol be causing my constant fatigue/weakness/dizziness? 

I take the pill 9am and 9pm .. gonna try not taking it tonight. Thank you!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes

Beta blockers have many side affects. When i  was on bisoprolol I had extreme tiredness/off balance and really cold feet. Some days I could not even move I was so exhausted

• Posted

Glad to see I'm not the only one.. If I sit down, or look at a computer screen for too long I feel like I just focus on the colors of the computer screen and get a bit dizzy .. not sure if it's me or the beta blocker!

• Posted

Some people can tolerate Metoprolol well and others have debilitating side effects. My husband and daughter don't experience side effects from it but from the first day I took it I felt constantly dizzy, disoriented, excessively fatigued and had constant PVCs (feels like the heart constantly fluttering). I missed many work days the single month I took it. I had an ablation which stopped the SVT episodes but I have an underlying condition related to SVT called IST (Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia) which still causes high heart rate with activity. I take a Calcium blocker called Cardizem which doesn't cause those nasty side effects for me and also take Ivabradine to control the heart rate further. Between the two medicines I live a normal life most of the time.

Definitely discuss the Metoprolol with your cardiologist because you are experiencing well known side effects of that medication. The side effects, for those that experience them, are debilitating and a huge quality of life issue.

Good luck and I hope your situation resolves soon.

• Posted

James...never stop taking heart meds unless directed by your Cardiologist.....

I'm a Congestive Heart Failure Patient with A Pacemaker/Defibrillator.....just changed after 2 years 9 mos from Coreg to Metoprolol ER 100 mg......that way I take it once per day. Possible Side Effects can be low mood....confusion.....memory problems ......dizziness. ...feeling cold...chest pain or pressure....slow heart beat... shortness if breath....weigh gain.....change in eye sight

Others...feeling tired....diarrhea....stomach upset/ vomiting

Many heart meds do many similar symptoms. Check with your heart doc......see if a ER or slow release will work better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.