25years old. PE/infarction what now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

To start things off, I am 25-M. Moderately active (Hiking, always walking, fast pace job) It all started with a cramp in my left calf. I shrugged it off as a charlie horse. I figured it would be tight for 2 days or so. A week passed by, and the knot was still there. Two weeks passed by. I finally got tired of it. I took some camphor rub, found the knot, and kneeded it to hell.(now I know-never, ever do that.) I felt it relax. my leg felt fantastic! I slept great with no cramping in my leg that night.

I woke up the next morning, while going to the coffee shop i noticed a very small cramp in my right side. again, shrugged it off.

As the day went on the cramp became increasingly painful, breathing became difficult, bending down was impossible. Came home from work, pain was increasing. finally at 3am I went to the ER, the pain had become too much.They found a large group of clots in my right lung, and a smaller group of clots in the left.  5days later im out of the hospital.On coumadin and Lovenox injections. I take another week off of work to somewhat recouperate.

It has been just over 1 month. I am still experiencing intense pain in my sides. (When it happened I only had pain in the right lower ribs) Now it is both ribs. New sharp pain in my abdomen stomach area. the cramping is back in BOTH of my legs now, and not just my calfs. Shortness of breath, nausea, faint/dizzy.

But it comes and goes. When it comes--it is full on. sometimes feeling just like the first day. Then it slowly drifts away like an echo.

Other days I'll have almost no pain or ill feeling, with just a small twinge of pain. yesterday afternoon my pain shot through the roof and has been there since. Im already on 16mg Warfarin, and 150 Lovenox injections. All I know is this hurts like hell, and I really, really miss hiking. I just want my old life back.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

At least on warfarin u won't getting huge clots but I'm concerned about other pain areas 

do u have contact with the pe clinic as I suggest you see consultant 

All I know is life changes 

• Posted

Dreadful shame: especially when you're so young. 

And the dosage of warfarin you're on is, I th, quite high. 

My experience is as almost nothing compared with yours - one clot as a result of surgery. Even that has had quite a significant effect.  2 months later, I'm still affected by tiredness and the occasional return of pain. 

I could be wrong here, but given the level of continued symptoms and your understandable anxiety about them, I'd suggest going to your GP for reassurance and more information in exactly what you can expect in terms of 'normal' recovery. 

Do keep us posted. And the very best of luck. 

Elaine 

UK

• Posted

So I went to the ER last week with terrible side pains that radiated to my back. this time on my left side. Absolutely horrible, I told them my history and they first did a ct scan and blood work. I sat in the ER for 3 hours waiting for results. although they were very nice, and did do something for the pain. When my results came back, the Dr. told me that my ct scan was clear. I asked if she had the wrong chart. Nope. Blood tests all came back clear, and a side test says my heart is healthy too.

My overall pain has dropped, and my energy has increased 10 fold. They had no explination for the pain, but the way i feel like it was in a bad way to describe it, like the bad was being forced out of me.

Im still on Warfarin but down to 12mg, and 10mg 2days a week. no more injections and stable at 2.5inr. Talk about a turn around!

• Posted

I was saddened by your email as you were fit and healthy the general consensus being it’s all to do with lifestyle if u don’t fit the pattern 

def. get to gp for referral to PE clinic  and remember we r all here to sound off to

• Posted

Hi. I had my first PE at 21 and another one at 32. Now on long term wayfarin. You need to give yourself some time to recover I had 12 weeks off work. Now on life long wayfarin. Inr up and down. Usual dose is 9-11mg. Haematologist said younger people usually on a higher dose.

I can still can't get my head around the whole situation 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.