26 days on 20mg citalopram no better

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I take citalopram for panic attacks and anxiety. I constantly feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and still am having panic attacks since starting citalopram. Does anybody know if this is normal and how long it takes to get better. Also I can't go out because anxiety is worse.. Feel like I'm wasting my time taking these.. I've had them before and they worked within 4 weeks.. Will they work again? I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I’m at about week 3 and I’m just starting to be getting some improvement from the Citalopram. I feel for you because I totally understand what your going through. Every night I’ve been close to pulling the plug on this stuff but I’m staying the course to give it a chance. It seems to have improved the darn tingling in my head but it also seems to come along with a lot of negative reactions so far too. Blurred vision and upset stomach. Either way I’m just going to keep plugging away and give this stuff a chance to totally kick in.  If it worked for you before then maybe it will  work again. Hang in there.  I feel your pain. 
    • Posted

Hi Daniel thanks for your reply.. I've got terrible blurred vision too. It gets worse through out the day.. I can't sleep either. Wake up every hour.. Like you said just keep plugging away.. Hope it kicks in soon cos I'm wishing my life away at the moment..

• Posted

Hi. I had 5 weeks on 20mg and saw improvements but not like the fist time I had them a few years ago. I'm now on 30 and feelingafew side effects. I had to have diazepam to help me sleep. Bad stomach and lack of appetite. Muzzy head and tingling. It can take a good 6 to 8 weeks to feel the full effects of them and some people say more. I'm hanging in there and hope it gets better soon. I'm sure it will for you both . Good luck!!

• Posted

Yes the same three symptoms I’ve been experiencing on this new drug. Stomach worse, bad appetite and Muzzy head. The tingling I had before the Citalopram so I’m feeling that may be getting a little better. If it doesn’t then the drug has just added more problems ..Right now my main goal is to find someone to review my Meds and get me on the program that I can be confident can work.  That’s proven to be much harder than I thought though.  I feel a little trapped on this now because I feel if I dropped it suddenly it would do more damage than good . So I’m staying the course and hopefully next week I can get in to see someone other than my PCP to look at this plan of meds.  
    • Posted

Yes don't stop the meds. Unfortunately it's not a quick fix for us and our own mind is sometimes our own worst enemy. X

• Posted

As far as I’m concerned my mind created this whole mess. I know if I could fill it with positive thoughts all this would go away.  Unfortunately some of us are just missing certain chemicals in our brain that’s making that practically impossible to do. I can’t have things any better than I do now so it makes no other sense to feel like this .. anxiety and depression are a difficult disease but it can be treated and you can lead a good life once you get the right chemicals in your brain. Just got to find the right combo.  That’s it in a nutshell
    • Posted

U agree with you completely I am exactly the same. I have no reason to feel this way but the chemicals in my brain need some help to get back to how they were. I'm going on a group counselling course soon and maybe some CBT. When unspoken to the counsellor on the phone she kept saying to me....what is the worst that can happen when you have a panic attack or feel anxious. I get what she is saying but my mind seems so strong when I'm in that state. Along with the right meds I need to learn how to control my own mind. I know it won't be easy but I am determined as to control this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.