26 years old Shingles 3 months later still having issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had shingles on my Trigeminal and Cranial Nerve.

I lost my eyesight due to extreme photophobia for about 2 months and now it is almost back to normal (thankgoodness!)

But Now,

I have extreme itching on my head and above my eyebrow.

I have some bald spots (on the right side only because it only affects one side) as well as scabs everywhere. It will be 3 months since I had a shingles outbreak.

Is itching a sign of healing? What can I do ?!

I wear a beanie all day to help from touching my head. People say shingles usually doesn't last thing long and I am atypical. : (

Gabapentin 3x a day (1,800mg total)

Acyclovir 800 MG a day (weaning to a new prescribed 400mg for 1 year )

L-Lysine 500mg

Monolaurin 1/4 Tsp 

Vitamin C

Vitamin B12

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Probably wont help much. I am a 72 year old Male (had the vaccine) contracted Shingles 9 weeks ago on right side waist area front and back. No relief yet. There is much information on line, also a good NY Times article on Herpes Zoster. I live with this pain waiting for a change. I believe my virus visited me from stress concerning life events 
  • Posted

Hi April,

First, I am sorry you have Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN, really Post Herpetic Itching PHI.

The Itching is more difficult to treat than the pain, no kidding, right?

Sometimes a combination of Gabapentin and amytryptylline works synergistically to soothe the Itching.

Cool/ice compresses definitely help.

Lidocaine applied topically definitely will help.

Long-term solution is to have a nerve block/ ablation done, as the nerve is chronically misfiring and doesn't know how to turn itself off.

I have severe allergies and understand severe itching to the point of mauling myself.

I know with Shingles that corticosteroids and antihistamines usually don't work, although, I doubt that the stronger ones are used. The best anti-itch oral antihistamine is Doxepin. It is by prescription, and is sedating. I took it for two years until I figured out what all my allergies were. The stronger corticosteroids help, but you absolutely cannot use them on your face, or for a period of over two weeks. These two medications might not help the neurogenic itching you are experiencing.

If you are working, perhaps you could stash some thin gel ice packs, reusable, in the freezer, and place under your hat...

BTW, your friends are wrong regarding Shingles, Post Herpes Zoster-Shingles lasts a long long time.

I would consider a nerve block if the medication combinations do not work synergistically.

You need an excellent Physician-artist to work with you regarding the medication dosages and titration, BTW.

When you feel the need to scratch, place ice on it! Also buy Lidocaine OTC with the highest percentage available. Ask your pharmacist what he carries, Solarcaine with Aloe, Bactine in the States are two.

Your Physician could prescribe a higher percentage of Lidocaine...

I hope this helps, as I know that Itching is in someways worse than the pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Ooops April,

I see you are taking a Lysine supplement, and please forgive me if you are already following a high Lysine low Arginine diet, but some individuals swear that the diet truly helps their Post Herpetic Itching, even the eye and scalp area.

I found that the diet took about 6 months to work, but I was a voracious nut and legume eater.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.