27 and on BP meds :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

hey guys short story short i have high blood pressure 160/100-180/110, im currently on 25mg x2 metropolo and x1mg amlophine ive been on the meds maybe 3 days now. i still have no signs of it coming down.

should i change the meds already? how long do you guys give the meds a try before switching?

currently as of now trying to cut all meat and stuff like that, drinking beet juice and beet pills just really lost and depressed right now.

Also im very afraid to work out because the high bp

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mig671, do you mean Metoprolol? And is the other one Amlodipine?

First of all, go back to your GP & tell him/her that your BP hasn't come down at all. Are you taking the correct doses? The Metoprolol is low for an initial dose & as far as I can see, Amlodipine doesn't come in a 1mg tablet.

I urge you to go to your GP and talk to him/her. I have had hypertension for 20 years & now take 4 different tablets to keep it stable.

Let me know how you get on & good luck

• Posted

I started on Bisoprolol 5mg and my GP doubled that quite quickly because it didn't do a lot, so do go back to your GP & don't worry.

• Posted

Forgot that I have the one pill that works to lower my high BP on the odd times I now stress and get it. It is called "Clonidine", or "Dixarit". It is a little blue pill that is prescribed in emergency situations. I have some as a result of a rare neuro condition I have and found out it works well to lower my BP. No more ER visits.

• Posted

what kinna Neuro condition do you have that raises your BP...That clonidine sounds like a miracle pill

• Posted

Do you have a BP monitor at home? I ask because you say your BP isn't coming down yet... If so, are you anxious when you take your BP? Do you take it after resting for at least 30 minutes after food/ caffeine/ exertion? Anxiety can have a fairly sizeable effect on your readings.

As mrsmop said, go to your GP if you're in any doubt. There are tonnes of combinations of meds they can put you on, but there may be a bit of trial and error until something is found that suits you.

• Posted

Well the amlodipine takes a few days to come up to speed (and then if you don't like it it takes a few weeks to get back out of your system)

Often have to mess around with several drugs and dosages to get the BP under control.

For me, adding a diuretic like HCTZ was the trick.

Also want to consider ACE and ARB drugs that are more modern and generally have fewer side effects.

Beets and beet juice work, but of course you have to keep at it. Also try eggplant - preferably the Chinese or Japanese varieties where you can eat the skin. Just cut up, nuke in microwave for a few minutes, covered, to keep the juices, then use those in a meal (typically salad or pasta) about four ounces/100 grams should do it.

These food items work but drugs are more convenient!

• Posted

Hey Mig671,

I agree with everyone about going back to see your GP.

I'm currently 29 (diagnosed with hypertension two years ago, right around your age) and I recall seeing my GP every two weeks when we were still figuring out medications and dosages. She also had me measure my BP regularly, in between visits, to see if anything needed to be adjusted. Do you have a follow-up booked with your doctor?

Also, for the sake of comparison, my BP was around 130/100 and I currently take 10mg Ramipril and 5mg Amlodipine per day. I started out on 5mg Ramipril and 2.5mg Amlodipine, but that wasn't quite enough to bring my BP into the normal range.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.