27 years old just had a LTHR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I don't know where or how to start.

Well I was only 19 when I started feeling this uncomfortable pain in my hip so I had to abandon my career as a football player (soccer) because I couldn't bare the pain after training.

I went see my doctor, he had me go for a scan it came back and he requested more. He wrote me up for scan, X-ray, MRI and whatever there is to see what was really going as he didn't believe the first result.

He was pretty sad when the results came in, he told me this is my current situation and that I should quit playing soccer, and put me on diclofenac if I couldn't bare the pain.

At that point I was pretty damn young to actually think I was in a F'd situation, I kept going the pain didn't stop me. Had to eventually quit working because I had to stand 8hrs as a factory worker. Fast forward 2017 I barely got enough sleep I'm not able to take walks with my friends, became pretty immobile; well as for the pain I don't have to describe as you guys already know.

Got tired of the pain and my life in general, surgery at 27 not just any surgery but having your bone cut off from your waist side and replaced with foreign objects wow !

I got very emotional the day of the surgery and I'm telling you I'm a very tough African kid I don't break but I cried, the doctors were really sweet.

I had a general anesthesia, I guess hearing my bones cut off and been pulled out of me made me panic and my pressure dropped, that's a story for another day.

Now I'm in my 5th day, the pain has subdued and I'm still at the hospital and I must say Italian doctors are very good.

I currently walk with crotches few times a day here in the hospital, one of my concern is my drain hole keeps leaking which bothers me a little therefore my dressing has to be changed everyday.

I have a lot of concern like will my legs become equal again ?

When will the drainage stop ?

Will I be able to lift my leg by myself

This is the most emotional experience in my life. Having a catheter in my penis to having nurses washing you off and not been able to do things on your own.

Thank you reading, most of my friends don't understand what I'm going through because obviously they're young and don't understand the severity of having a THR.

Francis

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since my last post, I wanted to post an updated.

5 weeks post op, I'm currently walking without much pain and rehab is going just well, lying on your side fading your operated leg is painful but everything else doable.

I'm walking without a crutch, there's a bit of limp and can't walk too far due to build up.

I was very worried about the length of both legs, but now j can tell there has been difference.

Rehab is VERY VERY IMPORTANT I recommend it, its very necessary to ensure your recovery.

Total hip replacement sound scary, painful and all of that but I can assure you that it's worth it, and I'm only 27yrs so trust me.

Remember REHAB is VERY VERU IMPORTANT.

Thank you and God bless you all.

• Posted

Hi Francis

Great to hear your progress, rehab is really the key. Surprised you've got rid of the crutch if you still have a limp as crutch will help you with improving your gait. Too easy otherwise to put too much weight through the good leg. Do check with your physio as although I could walk without crutch they insisted I should keep using it until my walk was completely even.

All the best, still early days .

Nicky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.