27yo Female T1 diabetic with pain, itchy skin, dizziness & no answers after multiple doctors visits

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sex: Female

Height: 5ft 4"

Weight: 84kg

Race: White British

Geo Location: London, UK

Duration of complaint: 2 to 3 months

Location (Geographic and on body): Tops of feets, hands, arms, neck and chest

Any existing relevant medical issues (if any): Type 1 Diabetes, anxiety

Current medications (if any): humalog (insulin pump) and Citalopram 20mg - Have been put on Fexofenadine 180mg and Montelukast 10mg during this time and given an anti fungal skin cream (canisten)

Hey all,

I am after some medical advice please. Let me list a brief medical history and medications below:

27 y/o Female, Type 1 Diabetic (for 20 years) very well controlled, am currently on Humalog insulin (pump) and 20mg Citalopram (for 6 years). I take Vit D, Vit B12 and Iron supplements. I work full time in an office but walk 6000-12000 steps a day.

For the past 2-3 months I have had an array of symptoms that appear to be getting worse.

At first, I started experiencing itchy tops of both of my feet, no rash in sight however. I have no history of neuropathy and have had this looked at during this time. The itchiness now happens on my feet, hands arms, shoulder neck and mostly my chest, top and bottom of my clavicles. I am experiencing extreme exhaustion but sleep 8-9hours most nights. I have aches in my arms and my shoulders most days also. My lymph nodes are swollen, and the left side of my neck has a weird ache that I can’t quite describe. I have been getting spells of vertigo and dizziness also.

I have been to the doctors 4 times now, the first time I was told it was the gym causing my symptoms and was given some stretches to do. This hasn’t and isn’t working and I feel I can no longer go to the gym (haven’t been in 3 weeks) as I am just so tired.

The 2nd time I was given Fexofenadine 180mg, taken once daily. This didn’t help any of my symptoms and my itchiness continues to get worse with no rash.

The 3rd time I was given another antihistamine Montelukast 10mg, taken once daily along with the Fexofenadine given to me in visit 2. I was sent for a full blood work also.

The 4th time I was told of my results, all was fine and normal with nothing I quote ‘Sinister’ showing. I was advised that my iron was still low, but not to an anaemic level, and that I should double my dose of iron supplements that I take daily. I was also given an antifungal cream. The doctor suggested I might have a fungal skin infection though there is nothing visually on my skin, his only reason was that “diabetics are prone to fungal skin infections”. The cream has yet to make any difference and I am still taking the two antihistamines to no avail.

I just don’t know what to do anymore, I feel like I am getting worse. I am so tired and agitated because my chest and neck and arms are just getting itchier. My arms ache more often than not. I am exhausted and mentally foggy.

Are you able to advise me what to do next? Any idea what might be wrong with me?

Thank you for reading

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi there. You dont mention anything about your lymph nodes.

i would recommend having an ultrasound on your nodes to see the size of them.

enlarged lymph nodes can mean nothing, but they can also point to something else.

signs that have me concerned is the all over itch and fatigue, also your dizzy spells.

you are doing the right thing by continuing to seek out answers with doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.