28 Days supply of Trimethoprim. Should I be worried ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Prostitis and prescribed a 28 day course of 200mg Trimethoprim tablets along with 2.5mg of Oxybutynin for the same period. Started the treatment several days ago having taken 4 tablets of each drug.There are no immediate side effects apart from a slight dizzyness. Having read the posts about the bad reactions to this drug,it has given me great concern over the long period I have to take these tablets. Are there any other readers to this website who have taken this drug for the same period of about a month ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know this old post but I took these for 28 days due to self catheterization and dont think anything was noticeable,I take a lot of pain relief med.and get lots of ill effects , but on these I found none,SO FAR!that is.

I may be put on for longer than the 28 days I have had.

• Posted

Trimethoprim CAN cause blood disorders (rarely ie 1 in 10,000 and normally for those on longterm threrapy are more at risk) The SYMPTOMS are: fever, rash, mouth ulcers, purpura, unexplained bruising or bleeding and sore throat.

As the usual dose is 200mg twice daily for 3-7days, your taking these for longer than the usual dose. so be aware of this.

Regards

• Posted

My son was born in 1995 and had problems with his ureters we were aware of this before birth due to the ultrasound. The doctors were concerned incase he had reflux. After his birth he was placed on a daily very low dose of trimethoprim as he was at risk of infection, until they could be 100% sure he didnt have a reflux he stayed on trimethoprim. I think it was safer than him getting a infection and if it went back onto his kidneys and damaged them. At 4 years old after a lot of investigation and x-rays and ultrasounds his was taken off the trimethoprim. Whilst he was on trimethoprim he was totally fine and so it isnt only used as a treatment as is my sons case is was a excellent prevention.
  • Posted

[quote:52f6d4620b=\"Chmical Khan \"]

As the usual dose is 200mg twice daily for 3-7days, your taking these for longer than the usual dose. so be aware of this.

[/quote:52f6d4620b]

For Chronic Prostitis, 28 days to 42 days (4 - 6 weeks is the norm) treatment, as it is difficult to get drugs into the prostate - I've got the same problem (mine's acute not chronic at present). Started with a serious kidney/UT Infection, had 5 days 2 per day 200mg Trimethroprim, 7 days 3 per day 500mg Amoxcyllin, now on a 28 day regime of 2x 200mg Trimethropin per day, which will almost certainly be extended another 14 days, to make sure the e-coli is well and truly zapped..............

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.