28 with IBS - will it get any better

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, never done this before so not sure how much to share. I have recently has two really extreme ibs reactions.

For years I have taken our diary, wheat, fruit, tomatoes, strawberries. Everything. Mine seems to be random.

I am looking for help and advice on how to change my situation in a positive way. I have suffered from depression and have anxiety and panic attacks.

Lifestyle tips and support would be great xx

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Katrina. i suffer from colitis, ibs-d, fructose malabsorption & bile acid malabsorption - all now relatively well controlled (bar the odd blip) with meds, diet, & adequate rest! i also suffer from depression & anxiety since my 20's (I'm 44 now) have had bouts of this since then, again this is controlled with maintenance dose meds & i have had 1 to 1 cognitive behaviour therapy several years ago which made life changing difference. with regard to the diet, i found the fodmap diet useless as many of the foods it said ok, i found i couldnt tolerate, & vice versa - foods i shouldnt eat were ok! but many people find it useful - so goes to show everyone is different. i saw a gastro dietician to help me manage my diet. the only veg i can tolerate in small 80g(handful) amounts is butternut squash, mashed swede, pumpkin, parsnips, cooked mushrooms & bizarely a spoonful of asda cheese coleslaw (but cant tolerate others!!). i cut out all fibre as dietician said often people with ibs-d cant break fibre down so it contributes to diarrea. i had to cut out porridge & brown bread. switching to white bread helped. i cant eat any fruit due to fructose problem, but also fruit is a problem for ibs-d sufferers. the thing i miss most is salad & greens. these cause terrible diarrea in me & come out completely undigested! also i cut my coffee to 2 proper caffetiere mugs in the morning, then decaff tea or water rest of day on recommendation from dietician. i dont feel this helped my tummy, but i do sleep better for less caffeine! i have been taking a liquid probiotic since august 2015 which i feel has made my ibs more stable & milder symptoms(less & milder stomach cramps, significantly reduced bloating) i have sent you a private message with the name which you can look up if you want, as they wont let you repeatedly print a brand name on here. hope this helps xx
  • Posted

steps for relieving stress

1. Sleep Sleep Sleep giving sufficient amount of rest to yur body reduces bp and in turn stress and other thngs

2. hang out with friends as much as posible if u are social type try to visit new place enjoy and admire the beauty of the place with yur besties, for ppl lyk me who are reserved type can enjoy listening yur favourite songs   in mobile phone,playing video games helps a lot.

3.whatever problem may be speak out.Speak with the  ppl  who have same wavelength  as yours dnt speak with the ppl who argue with you or oppose your thoughts

4.Identify the cause of stress

For example it may be office or love failure whatever may be  in my case it was  love  failure i stopped thinking about the girl at begining it was great hurdle i distracted myself from that  by playing mobile games whenevr her thinking comes i will take my mobile and start to play the game now iam ok  iam not thinking her because these emotional things are also responsible  for IBS

same way if yu feel ur work is stressed find some new work

these things can help you well

goodluck

• Posted

Lonely

Sleep made me worse. If I sleep more than 8 hours I am likely to become ill and less than 5 the same result.

I have ASD so sadly that is not an option though agree with music

Definitely recognise love failure but I was both in and out of the relationship.

That may be easier said than done because if your background is in a stressful role that is where agencies want to place you again.

Some things you have said I have found by myself and can confirm but others' such as sleep I have found does not work for me which I know is counter intuitive.

• Posted

I have ASD as well and I find my brain is always on switched on mode 24/7. Amazingly, lack of sleep doesn't affect me; I still have boundless energy.  My IBS only flares up with excessive stress.
    • Posted

Yes to brain on but on too long and I get migraines and they zonk me out completely.

I definitely do not have boundless energy but stress makes me worse.

• Posted

@ astrozombie

Dude thanks for replying iam not saying to sleep all the tym but sleeping more than 10 hours  a day is not accepted it makes yu more lazy i said it should be around 8 -12 hours usually some ppl who are stressed wouldnt be getting sleep for  5 hours if that was the case, i said to have a sound sleep which could relax your body....

U had misconception with bananas.Actually bananas helps me a lot sometimes it would be difficult  for me to pass stools then eating a one helps me a lot.so i told.

these were the advices given by doctor and some f them worked randomly but my worry s that iam not getting rid of this thing permanently...So iam in search of permanent cure

thanks

have a healthy lyf ahead

godbless

hope yu have a great  

• Posted

Hello Lonely 

In your first post it said 9-10 hours but if that works for you excellent but did not work for me and may have been too much sleep which helped make me ill as much better on normal sleep.

That is exactly why I am here the elusive cure

That is interesting as I always put bananas in a smoothie so was unsure if I was eating too many.

I sleep very heavily so the problem for me is waking up but that is a whole new thread as I also have SPD.

• Posted

@ astrozombie

Dude thanks for replying iam not saying to sleep all the tym but sleeping more than 10 hours  a day is not accepted it makes yu more lazy i said it should be around 6-8 hours usually some ppl who are stressed wouldnt be getting sleep for  5 hours if that was the case, i said to have a sound sleep which could relax your body....

U had misconception with bananas.Actually bananas helps me a lot sometimes it would be difficult  for me to pass stools then eating a one helps me a lot.so i told.

these were the advices given by doctor and some f them worked randomly but my worry s that iam not getting rid of this thing permanently...So iam in search of permanent cure

thanks

have a healthy lyf ahead

godbless

hope yu have a great  

• Posted

Hello Lonely I note your last line "not getting rid of this thing permanently." So you do you find despite the changes you have made you still get IBS attacks where maybe you lose control of your body for a time.

Do you also find there is a longer period between the attacks for not?

For me there is definitely a longer period.  I have gone from 2 - 3 day to monthly or bi monthly but each attack wipes me out for a few days so it would still be difficult to work hence I too am in search of a permanent cure.

• Posted

Hey have yall ever tried Digestive Enzymes they seem to help me a geat deal unless I drink to much coffee I also have IBS have had it for about 7 months I also take probotics wich I think may also help good luck to you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.