28 year old Male with diverticulitis anxiety has been out the roof

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello im completely new to this but I have been dealing with this for about a month or more. I got diagnosed with diverticulitis 3 weeks ago. It all started with just irregular bowel movements but I honestly was not the healthiest eater so I paid no attention to it untill I had severe abdominal pain on lower left side and slight fever I went to the doctor the next day he immediately thought it was diverticulitis so he ordered a ct scan and metronidozol (flagyl) antibiotics. A week later I got the ct scan came back showing acute diverticulitis and some fluid in pelvis. Doctor didnt seem to be to worried I did feel alot less pain within a few days after taking antibiotics and then he also added cipro antibiotics. Although my pain has reduced it has been awful because I just feel so weird and my anxiety is out the roof bc I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and I cant remember the last time I had a normal bowel movement I dont see any blood in stool however I feel like i cant fully evacuate my bowels when I go to restroom and its has been like paste /diarrhea with alot of mucus consistency I have been eating alot less however I recently started feeling well enough to add some sort of solids but I still get such bad anxiety bc it feels like its swollen I been taking probiotics and cbd oil but i have been getting better slowly but today it has been very uncomfortable it feels like its swollen or something and i sometimes even feel it against my bladder I just want to know how long this will take before I can eat normal and have a normal bowel movement. I have gotten to the point where my rectum feels like I have a small cut or something i guess its from all the diarrhea? Im just so overwhelmed with this bc I have never really had health issues before I'm 6'1 was at 256 pounds now I'm down to 235 which is awsome and all but I am ready to be healthy again and I want to go back to the gym, but ever since I have been diagnosed I feel lack of energy fatigue and loads of anxiety bc of the drastic changes. I have a follow up next week with the doc. He also had said that when I'm completely back to normal that he would like to do a colonoscopy and that gave me more anxiety. Will this ever get better ? How long does it take?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know what you are talking about.   I've had bowel issues for years and it's no fun.   Diarrhea and then it's followed by constipation.   Didn't matter what I ate or what amount of fiber I took in.   I was taking metamucil and probiotics and that didn't help.   My first flare up with Diverticulitis was 2002 and was good until 2012.   Since then I've had flare ups and this last time (started June 11th) and I am still having pain.  Lack of energy is common for me and anxiety is very common with this disease.  You asked will this get better, it might.  It did for me for awhile and you asked how long does it take.  Everyone is different.   Watch what you eat, keep a food diary and see what helps you feel better and what makes you run to the bathroom.  I have to eat low fiber foods and waiting to talk to a surgeon.  My GI doctor said that surgery might be the best for me, so I've been writing down questions for the surgeon and when he gets back to me, I am going to talk to him and have surgery.   This pain is not fun and getting worse.  I did have 3 good days (no pain at all) but the next day was back to being miserable.   I wish you the best of luck and just take it easy.  As far as the colonoscopy, they have different preps now, that aren't that bad.   I had to take 2 dulcolax and then put miralax in gatorade or popel.   I put half in each of them.  The next morning I had to drink magnesium citrate.   Used a straw and wasn't bad.   I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at the same time and they put you under and you won't remember anything.   Don't worry about it because you don't want any more anxiety.  Hope I helped a little bit.

• Posted

Thank you for the responses, I really need to calm this anxiety down. I really dont even feel much pain to be honest, I'm still on my antibiotics. I'm just ready for more energy and normal bowel movements lol. I understand it's different for everyone but I would like to hear some personal stories like when how was your experience from start to finish are these symptoms I feel normal ? I also get like cold sweats but I'm pretty sure it's from the anxiety. Any tips would be super appreciated !

• Posted

Will be a long post:

This started with me back in 2002.  I was on a cruise and was constipated (thought it was travel constipation), but when I got home, it didn't get any better, and the pain in my left side was terrible.    My husband finally took me to the Emergency Room and they kept me in over and ran tests the next morning.  CT Scan with the contrast and came back showing diverticulitis.  To double check I had to have a Barium Enema and a colonoscopy and that showed that I had diverticuitis.   Was put on 2 antibiotics for 10 days.   After that I felt great and back to myself.   Everything was good until around 2014 .   Was having the same symptoms as before.  Constipation and diarrhea (never had diarrhea before and sounds strange to have both diarrhea and constipation) but, I did, and pain in my left side and just let it go for about a week until I couldn't stand it anymore.   Went to the ER and when I got in there, I told him it was Diverticulitis and he asked why and I told him, that I had it before and the symptoms were the same.     Had another CT Scan with the contrast  and another Colonoscopy and a Barium Enema and came back with same results as in 2002, this time it showed a twisted colon and they could only  get in part way with the scope.    More antibiotics and cleared up.   Was told to start Metamucil and probiotics and things should be alright.   I did start the fiber and probiotics but didn't help me at all.   Was feeling good until this year in June.   Was having pain in my left side and diarrhea and constipation, again.   Talked to my family doctor and told her.    Didn't dare leave my house and was calling in everyday telling them I couldn't come to work, that is when my anxiety started, was so afraid they would fire me because I missed so much work.   I talked to the HR person and told her what was going on and she said I could take a volunteer lay off until things get better and I could come back and work my scheduled hours.   So greatful that I work for such a nice company and they let me do that. In fact I used all my sick time, vacation time and FMLA time and people were volunteering hours to me.    Went to my family doctor and she prescribed 2 antibiotics for 10 days and this time the pain didn't go away.  Always knew the pain was there so I told her and she said that she wanted to send me to a GI Doctor because she didn't want to play around with my health and wanted to find out exactly why I was still in pain.  Went to the GI doctor and then I had another CT Scan and showed diverticulitis.  So then I had to go back in and have a colonoscopy (had to use a pediatric scope) and had to rotate me to be able to get in and check everything out.  Test results showed a significant looping and a tortuous colon and small and large mouthed diverticula found in my sigmoid colon.   They also did an endoscopy at the same time and only thing that showed up was gastritus and have to take a Prilosec every day.  My GI doctor recommends surgery and I am just waiting for him to get back to me.  I have to have a follow up appointment for my colonoscopy and endoscopy and want to talk to the Colon Surgeon the same day.  I have to travel 90 miles and would like to get both of these done at the same time.   I am still having pain in my left side,  this last week I did have NO PAIN for three days in a row, but then the pain kicked in again and still in pain.  Doctor said to take Tylenol for the pain, and I do sometimes, but doesn't really relieve it.   She told me do not take anything else except Tylenol, no nsaids.   When people ask how I am doing, I just say the same as always.  Always in pain and it's not fun and no energy, but keep trying to walk everyday and drink alot of water.   Glad I have a dog because I have to take her out for walks, I think if I didn't have to take her out, I would just sit around the house.   lol  lol    Hope this is what you were looking for from people.

• Posted

Hi, don't get all stressed out about a colonoscopy, I've had about 5 since my diagnosis about 5 years ago; you will be sedated and next you know a nurse is waking you. Make sure you have someone to drive you.

• Posted

Thanks that doesnt sound to bad actually ! Thank you ! I guess I was just frightened of what they might find lol.

• Posted

Hi again! Mine started about 4 month ago but nothing done for 2 months, until i suggested it was diverticulitis? Then i had blood tests and a finally a CT scan that showed a like abscess on the outer wall (i presume) of my bowel and then finally antibiotics. I had a colonscopy that showed i had a mild case of DD but like you the Dr wasnt to concerned. So, basicly i've been on antibiotics for about a month and left to get on with it. On tuesday i have an appointment to see the specislist but no idea if the infection has gone or the abscess. Bit dissapointed with the treatment and support to be honest.

• Posted

Wow I am sorry we are both in the same boat are u having dam symptoms as I? I started eating solids again since I have no pain but I'm kind of scared bc I can hear my guts making all kinds of noises. Please let me know what advice your doc gives you!

• Posted

It plays havoc with your guts in everyway possible plus the antbiotics wont be helping. I'm still getting pains all over especially tender up my rectum and buttocks but not not that bad now to now. BUT is it the pelvic abscess or the DD causing it or both thats confusing me. Plus i dont know if i still have infection? Do you have pains in your lower back, hips and buttocks?

• Posted

Hi jcab I was diagnosed with DD April of this year Cipro and Flagyll intravenous for 2 days in hospital Sent home 10 more days of pill antibiotics I honestly never felt any better ended up back in ER two more times same procedure intravenous antibiotics then pills at home I did liquid diet and bland diet for about 3 months so l lost 40 pounds today I weigh 100 pounds I'm 5foot 7 60 years old never any health problems before DD I ended up with a blockage in intestine emergency surgery it had to b done twice! Really a colonoscopy is not to bad try to schedule it on a Friday if you have weekends off Diverticulotis is unfortunately a lifetime disease if bad part of colon is not removed Many people learn to manage with diet probiotics lots of water and occasionally a pain pill I have never been able to eat like I did before DD The Mayo clinic diverticulitis diet is pretty close to what you should b eating Physician's are of very little help when it comes to diet they say eat like you ate before you got sick Believe me your colon won't tolerate it You need to remember it could take weeks for inflammation to soothe after a attach I was weak after my first attack and I still am B careful when picking up heavy items Do walk as tolerated Look at different websites and see what help you this disease affects all of us differently Good luck

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you are going through this however I have very similar problems.  I am a 36 year old male and my diverticulitis started off the same way.  

My Dr put me on pretisone (excuse the spelling), which helped the pelvic pain and inflammation.  

I also get the full- unemptied bowls feeling and I take Lactulose and or Linzess, I had to experiment to get the dosage right but it definitely helps.  I also take enteric coated peppermint oil capsules which soothes the gut, it’s similar to IB- guard.

I don’t know if these issues truly ever go away I just think we have to do our best to manage them.

Hopefully this helps

• Posted

Thanks for the response! Are u able to eat solid foods? I just recently started it's just so weird and frightening I feel no pain anymore just kind of bloated and I can hear my bowel just making alot of noise. Does exercise help I used to be a gym junkie and I kind of want to get back into it

• Posted

Hopefully the input helped.  My problem was more constipation than diarrhea so yes I am eating solid food. Gas pills and peppermint capsules will help a bit with the bloating.  My Dr prescribed dicyclomine this helps calm the gut to stop the rubbling and cramping.
  • Posted

Hi , I have severe divaticular, had it for years now, I had always eat healthy so don't blame your eating habits. Have what I call flare ups ( diverticulitis) about twice a year. I always have pain to some degree but obviously worse when infected.

Foods to avid that helps me are cafene free coffee/read, brown bread/fruit gays veg, fatty foods, beans, peas, anything with oats. Anxiety/ stress doesn't help it.

Drinking plenty of water helps, along with very bland foods like soups, plain biscuits, white bread only.

What really helped me was the caffeine free tea also mild exercise like walking when you can.

Hope this helped but we are all different and what works for one doesn't always work for another, I do find this forum helps and gives ideas, someone said that sparkling water really helped so give that a go, but fizzy stuff does not help me, hey ho and good luck

• Posted

Hi Vivienne, what do you take the milk of magnesia for??
    • Posted

Rich I do not take that medication, I take fybogel which helps though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.