28 year old Male with diverticulitis anxiety has been out the roof

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello im completely new to this but I have been dealing with this for about a month or more. I got diagnosed with diverticulitis 3 weeks ago. It all started with just irregular bowel movements but I honestly was not the healthiest eater so I paid no attention to it untill I had severe abdominal pain on lower left side and slight fever I went to the doctor the next day he immediately thought it was diverticulitis so he ordered a ct scan and metronidozol (flagyl) antibiotics. A week later I got the ct scan came back showing acute diverticulitis and some fluid in pelvis. Doctor didnt seem to be to worried I did feel alot less pain within a few days after taking antibiotics and then he also added cipro antibiotics. Although my pain has reduced it has been awful because I just feel so weird and my anxiety is out the roof bc I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and I cant remember the last time I had a normal bowel movement I dont see any blood in stool however I feel like i cant fully evacuate my bowels when I go to restroom and its has been like paste /diarrhea with alot of mucus consistency I have been eating alot less however I recently started feeling well enough to add some sort of solids but I still get such bad anxiety bc it feels like its swollen I been taking probiotics and cbd oil but i have been getting better slowly but today it has been very uncomfortable it feels like its swollen or something and i sometimes even feel it against my bladder I just want to know how long this will take before I can eat normal and have a normal bowel movement. I have gotten to the point where my rectum feels like I have a small cut or something i guess its from all the diarrhea? Im just so overwhelmed with this bc I have never really had health issues before I'm 6'1 was at 256 pounds now I'm down to 235 which is awsome and all but I am ready to be healthy again and I want to go back to the gym, but ever since I have been diagnosed I feel lack of energy fatigue and loads of anxiety bc of the drastic changes. I have a follow up next week with the doc. He also had said that when I'm completely back to normal that he would like to do a colonoscopy and that gave me more anxiety. Will this ever get better ? How long does it take?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

32 yo Male here. my first diverticulitis episode was at 29yo. I also have GAD (General anxiety disorder). My normal weight is 150-155lbs and when I have gotten diverticulitis I would drop down to 132-140lbs. in relation to your weight, you lost 8.2% and I would lose 9%+-. I have had it 3 times and each episode was in a time of high stress that led to panic/anxiety, followed by a diverticulitis flare up. It typically takes me 2-3+ weeks to regain my appetite and 1-2 months to get my weight back.

diet wise, I take pro-biotics and powdered flax seed (typically added to oatmeal/maltomeal or in baked goods). I Personally, I have worse flare ups with eating fried chicken than anything.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully some of this helps you relate with others. Remember, fear is a lie - Anxiety is believing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.