28 years old, 3 months of diverticulitis pain and discomfort since being diagnosed. Advice!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diagnosed with diverticulitis in early december. Spent 2 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics. Sent home with amoxicillian for 5 days. 3 months later i am on my 5th round of antibiotic and the pain and symptoms are just lingering and wont fully go away. ive had some really good weeks where i felt normal. back in the gym 4-5 days a week. great energy. next thing i know i am feeling the damn thing coming back. I have had my colonoscopy, all clear. no polypls, only one pouch. even did a biopsy on the inflamed part of my colon and it was all clear. after the procedure i was told the pouch was no longer infected but i had acute moderate inflammation of my sigmoid colon. Since information from doctors is hard to get. I figured i would ask a few questions here.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Am i having multiple flare ups or have I yet to get rid of the original infection?

Most of my pain now a days is very low in my abdomin. Almost more in the pelvic range. Also i have alot of pain in discomfort in my rectum but i an wondering if i am just dealing with some bad hemmeroids from all the constipation and irregular bowel movements. is this normal?

also most of my discomfort now a days just feels like the constant urge that i need to poop. but i either cant or dont need too??

right now i am dealing with pain only if i press firmly in certain spots of my abdomen or pelvic region. mostly only if in lying down or sitting. is this just soreness from battling this?!?! or am i still inflamed or infected??

Any advice and or experience is greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm 64 and have had a few flare ups over the years. The last one which was a month ago sent me to the ER. They diagnosed it via ct scan and told me to follow up with my gastroenterologist.

All my other attacks pretty much resolved but not this one. I too have some pain, some discomfort, a strange feeling in my gut that doesn't want to go away, cramps, spasms, even after antibiotics. If you google articles about it, they pretty much say you should feel better within 3 to 5 days. Baloney! My doctor told me last week that it might take six weeks for the inflammation to go down. I will have a colonoscopy in a few weeks. It's weirdly comforting to know that others are going through the same thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.