29 and I cant stop peeing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me regain control of my bladder. 

Compared to what I have read so far on the forum I know I am not a severe case, and have only been affected for 3 weeks, however if there are answers I would like some. (never thought I'd say this but I'd love to go back to work)

I'm a 29 year old male who keeps fit through, running, kung fu and hit training, I also eat healthily most of the time and drink alcohol infrequently.

My problem in a nutshell is I cant stop peeing. 

At first I thought I had a UTI, so was given a 7 day course of antibiotics from the Doctor. When this didn't clear after 7 days I went back and my urine was tested, no infection. 

Since then (2 weeks) i have been taking Oxybutynin which relaxes the bladder reducing the urge to pee. This does have an effect and through bladder training and basically not moving much I'm finding I'm able to hold urine, but the need to urinate never disappears.

My Doctor who I have seen three times now seems to think I have a bladder spasm caused by a period of dehydration as my symptoms came on quite suddenly.

The thing he cant understand is when I move around or have just urinated it gets worse.

I could watch TV for 4 hours and not desperately need to urinate, but when I walk around, do yoga, kegel exercises etc... I get desperate for a wee. I feel it low down in by abdominals and in my penis.

The more I pee the worse it gets, hence the bladder training, but it means I cant function normally. A short drive to the local supermarket is an ordeal and I often have to use the bathroom more than once. Movement seems to flare up my symptoms.

Sorry for the long message I'd just really like some answers to some of or all of the following questions if anyone knows. I'll start with an easy one ;-)

- What is wrong with me?

- if it is a spasm how long until I feel normal?

- Could it be something else? ( having a prostate blood test next week)

- Will the Oxybutynin really help?

- Are there any natural remedies that help? (magnesium/pumpkin seeds etc...)

- What else can I be doing.

I would really appreciate any help that could be offered as I feel like I am getting nowhere and am terrified this is now my life

It might also be important to mention I have IBS and have done for a number of years, again the issue is to much frequency. I use the FODMAP diet to control this which I would recommend to other sufferers.

Thanks for the help

Phil

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I felt compelled to respond to you because I know exactly what you are going through. Except I was a 34 yo female when my frequency/urgency began literally overnight. Like you, I thought I had a UTI but my urine always came back clear. The frequency was so bad that I woke up several times a night and started having panic attacks about leaving my house for fear of being away from the bathroom. After many months and lots of tests, I feared I had Interstitial Cystitis but my urogynecologist strongly feels like it's overactive bladder. However I have never really had the characteristic sudden urge to pee. My biggest issue was the constant urge to pee, even after emptying my bladder. It was maddening! I became depressed and anxious and had to start seeing a psychiatrist for therapy and medication. After several years I finally have a handle on my OAB for the most part. The only times it really acts up is when I drink too much coffee or when I get nervous/stressed. So here is the list of things I tried and that helped get me mostly better- oxybutynin extended release- 10mg, Nortriptyline- 75 mg, pelvic floor physical therapy (helped immensely with the urgency and frequency), pumpkin seed extract pills, magnesium glycinate, Uribel as needed (numbs the bladder to help get rid of urge feeling) and electric stimulation which sends electric impulses to the pelvic floor, relaxing the bladder and resetting the bladder nerves. I also watch what I eat and drink although coffee is still my vice. Good luck. Keep the hope...you can and will get your life back if you are willing to try different things to figure out what works for you. There are even treatments beyond medication if the meds don't work. But I would recommend trying a med for at least two weeks before determining that it doesn't work. One med may work better than another for you so don't be afraid to ask your doctor to try a new one. But meds don't work 100% of he time. They usually only work to improve symptoms to a degree.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry to hear of the long standing issues you have had.

The only difference between our symptems is I seem to be able to settle my bladder at night, i.e. not needing to wake up The problem comes once ive urinated, I need to go again.

Coffee is also my vice, but I'm teetotal at present. 

Anyway, my pumpkin seeds and magnesium tablets have just arrived so I hope they help, I really dont want to be dependent on drungs.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Posted

I can feel for you have been incontent for about 15yrs it came on late.The dr gave me tamsulsiulosin helps some but can,t control peeing real good.I even wet the bed today had to wash sheets wife wasn,t to mad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.