2cm Lymph Node in Neck and Several Smaller Ones, Dr Won't Take Me Seriously!?!?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had several swollen lymph nodes in my neck, one large (approx 2cm long 1cm wide) and the rest all the size of peas for over a year now and no Dr I see will take me seriously and it's really frustrating! I have allergies, bruxism (tmj), and acne so the drs always say that my lymph nodes are swollen for one of those reasons and won't do any real tests! Even though one of them is huge AND fixed to the underlying muscle (immovable) AND hard/rubbery AND I have a family history of young lymphoma (grandma had stage 4 in her 20s but survived and is alive and well today) You would think with all these factors put together ONE of the FOUR drs I've seen would send me for further testing, but one look at my face or one look at my medical record and they all of the sudden "know" it's nothing to be worried about! Has anyone else here ever been in a similar situation? Because I desperately need advice...

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If one of the lymph nodes is large, rubbery, immovable and you have lymphoma in the family you must insist on further tests. Having said that, if you have had it for some time and are feeling quite well it's unlikely that it's cancer, especially as you do have a history of allergies. But to put your mind at rest, further imaging tests should be done, a blood test will not tell you if you have lymphoma. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi James

I must say that I find this attitude outrageous.I told my doctor for two years that I had irritation which I felt was in my blood and three doctors said they didn't know what it was and dismissed it.

I felt I wanted to see a haemotologist but they sent me for endoscopies and to gastroentologists.

I finally insisted I wanted to see a haemotologist and after blood tests and a body scan and then a bone marrow biopsy I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and WM which has a well known symptom of irritation in the body.

Something that had the doctors done their homework they would know.

My firm feeling is that we all know our own bodies and feelings that something is wrong and doctors should have no right to dismiss our fears offhand.What is the point of being told we should treat symptoms early when they put us off like this?

Please ask for blood tests and a scan - you have the legal right to do this and a doctor cannot refuse it.

I hope doing this will settle your worries as stress does not help.

Mt very best wishes to you.

• Posted

How right you are. So many people on this site have doctors that don't seem to know what they're doing. I was diagnosed with NHL 2years ago. Luckily for me my GPs are brilliant and I was diagnosed very quickly at stage 1A. I would say I'm recovering well but during a routine CT scan they found a meningioma for which I'm having Gamma knife surgery in August. It should have been May but my husband was rushed into hospital for emergency surgery on a ruptured bowel and will need me here to look after him for a while. It never rains but it pours eh, but at least I'm still here.

• Posted

Jackie,

Is WM waldestrom disease? I am in the midst of diagnosis, I have been seeing so many doctors, been feeling sick with extreme fatigue, enlarged lymphnodes, weight loss especially hands ( now skin and bones) bone pains, easy bruises ( new thing). My doctor told me I have depression and it's all in my head, I had to beg him to see a hematologist since my hemocrit RBC is high and WBC are a little elevated. He told me the hematologist will laugh at those numbers and I left the office crying. I told him my grandfather had Waldestrom disease and he told me "that's rare" and you are too young ( 44) in the meanwhile I had to quit my job because of fatigue and some days I feel like I am near death. I have enlarged lymph nodes on neck and under armpits (1.7 cm) and 1.4 cm but ultrasound said "not suspicious ( how can they tell if they are cancerous or not? I feel I have leukemia or lymphoma but my doctor said we have exhausted our medical tests. I also have red dots rash. Were you sick before diagnosis?? Sorry for the long rant!!

• Posted

Hi James. I understand your frustration. I would insist on further tests. I don't know much about this, so will do research online. Best of luck.

harrishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.