2nd appointment with psychiatrist tomorrow

Posted , 3 users are following.

How do I try and explain how I have been in the last 3 weeks without writing an essay or missing out any important symptoms, emotions or actions. The first appointment lasted over 2 hours, I found it very draining and emotional, plus he is likely to increase my dose to 30mg. Also my work is putting pressure on me to be back as soon as possible as I have appointments booked which can't be changed, they have been very supportive over the past year but I am feeling pressurised now and don't know what to do. I know I've got to attend these appointments as my sanity, safety and welfare is important even though quite often I don't want to be here sorry I'm rambling now. Not sure what I'm trying to say. i'll shut up, Sorry...

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tina, can you write a list of symptoms in point form, give it to the dr to read and then just say nothing until he's read it?   

And don't worry about rambling, if you can't do it on this forum where can you?

All the best

• Posted

Thanks Jude, I've edited my journal and printed if off, still a bit long but he should get the idea. I didn't want to miss anything as I have still been having alt of suicidal thoughts. Better see if I can go back to sleep as it's just gone 5 a.m. not a good sleep.

Cheers Tina

• Posted

Tina, I don't think most doctors would have the time or inclination to read someone's journal even if you have edited it.   Your symptoms can't be so numerous that you can't put them  BRIEFLY  in point form and that's what I was suggesting.    

How long is this edited version?  If it's more than one page I doubt if he'll read it

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

• Posted

Hi Jude it's more my thought process and actions towards the suicidal intentions I've been experiencing over the past 3weeks, the symptoms are. more background information, oh I just don't know now, he needs to know how I've been mentally surely to ascertain how we continue with whatever treatment. I just don't want to forget important stuff as this is my future not that I feel as if I've got one weare trying to get sorted. Thanks for your support.
    • Posted

I do understand all that, it's just that I think you're sabotating yourself if you turn up with a long screed and expect him to read it all.    If you weren't seeing him so soon you could maybe drop it off for him to glance through before you get there:  I did that when I went to counselling after I was raped  because I didn't want to repeat all the details to the counsellor.

Just my opinion for what it's worth, I hope it all goes well for your and please let us know.   Certainly if you're suicidal you shouldn't keep that to yourself

• Posted

I'm not expecting him to read it, it's more a prompt for me so I don't forget stuff, as I forget stuff when I've been seeing my cpn then the next appointment I mention things and she feels these things are important and sometimes thinks I hide things. This is so difficult as I'm still trying to get used to all this taking. I hope your counselling helped you through your difficult times. X
    • Posted

Hi, appointment went ok yesterday good talk through things I read my notes before attending, covered a lot of how I felt about things the actions good and bad, how and why I did them, what support was there for me,serious talking to again about suicide. Medication increased to 30 mg immediately, will as far as possible book my next appointment as late in the afternoon so I don't get harassed by my work. Still in bed as no energy to get up, I suppose the 30mgs is working already. Thank you for your help yesterday.

Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina

Jude's advice about bullet points is excellent. Either take it with you or if it's lengthy email or post it. That way you should find your next appointment will be not so emotionally tiring. Plus it will ensure you don't miss anything out. An added bonus is that you will feel more confident and comfortable so will get the best out of the appointment. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.