2nd Bell's Palsy episode

Posted , 5 users are following.

Now 7 years later I got Bell's palsy again. First time symptoms lasted about 2 weeks and cause was unknown. Treated with antiviral and steroids. Just got a tooth pulled and bone graft done on right side. Two days later I felt familiar paralyzing sensations in my eye and mouth (opposite side of oral surgery). Called the dentist and he said there is no cross over with nerves. Then followed up with my doctor who diagnosed me with BP again. She said had I not gotten the oral surgery the BP wouldn't of occurred. She said it was probably the sudden stun to my nerves that did it. Apparently only 15% of people get it a second time. I feel this time it is more severe.

It is now day 3 after initial symptoms. Got treatment after 24 hours. Now trying acupunture. Anyone else get it a second time? If so did the episode last longer or shorter than the first time?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

UPDATE: DAY 6

- Completed steroids

- 2 more days of antivirals

- No improvements

- Got dental stitches on unaffected side out yesterday - dentist says everything looks good but could not explain why I had sharp pains on that side in the jaw bone 5 days after the bone graft was performed.

Currently very sore. Unaffected side seems to be overcompensating. Mouth is sore. Jaw is sore from chewing. Tried 250mg niacin this morning (read good things online for treating people with BP). WARNING: there is a flush. I thought I was having a terrible allergic reaction. Skin turned bright red and started constricting. It was warm to the touch then I had blotches on my legs. This lasted about 45 minutes. This is a common and quite painful (like a severe sunburn) but is not harmful. Haven't noticed anything since but this was the first time I've taken it. Also taking B12 vitamins daily and continuing with warm compresses. 2nd round of acupuncture tonight. Will post another update in a few days if there are any changes.

• Posted

UPDATE: DAY 9

Still taking vitamins B's, finished antivirals. Acupuncturist did cupping on day 6 and electrical stimulation on my back/neck. Felt movement in my face during the electrical stimulation. The cupping afterwards was done on my neck of the affected side and very painful. She left it on for only 5-10 seconds. I have a big bruise and was in a lot of pain for the rest of the evening. Just a day later my boyfriend said my face was definitely showing improvement. Although my eye still does not close and I cannot make facial expressions my face was less droopy.

Face has been very sore. I believe I have TMJ issues as pain is in the corner of my jaw, cheek bone, and eyebrow. Anduscles are very sore. Still continuing with warm compresses

• Posted

I have had Bells Palsy for about 6 weeks on the left side with severe neck pain, nerve pain. Doctors immediatly prescribe steroids and Anti virals; after ruling out stroke.  I took the anti-virals, but declined the steroids due to past bad steroid experience.  It is a very frigtening and depressing condition. You have no control over it and it deeply impacts your life. Simple things like eating, smiling, etc. become stressful challenges.  I have been to several doctors and I am shocked that they do not take this condition very seriously, nor do they understand it very well.  I have honestly learned more with my own research.

It is very distressing that your face is in parylisis and most doctors including the nurologist act as if it is a simple cold or flu and tell you it will get better on its own. There is no way of  telling if it will be months or years, or?  The way I developed Bells also seemed to have some definite triggers.  I had ingested some toxins (prescrided medication)  and also strained my neck just before the onset. I told the doctors this.  They told me highly unlikly either event triggered my Bells.  I was getting very discouraged with the doctors and my situation.  I decided to try acupuncture.  After my first acupuncture treatment last week, I gained significant mobility in my mouth and jaw area. I can actually talk semi-normal and coherently again.  My upper face and eye still weak.  Still some nerve pain twinges.  However after two acupuncture treatments including cupping and ear seeds ( pressure point treatment taped to your ear that you wear home. )  I am happy to say I am improving and my fear and depression are subsiding.  My acupuncture/ health practitioner indicated that patients that have not taken steriods respond quicker to the acupunture modalites.   This was a big relief as I was doubting my resistance and the Medical doctors were pressuring me to do the steroids. I am not reccomending anyone decline the doctors reccomendations. In my experiece;  I now research every medication and reccomendation before complying.  Nurolgist also tried to put me on gavipenten for the nerve pain. I did not take it and have gotten significant relief from the acupuncture treatments regarding the nerve pain.  This condition seems to affect every patient differently.  I have been very humbled and appreciate small victories and simple things like being able to chew food with great gratitude. I had to quit my job and life is challenging; but I am healing and hopeful. 

• Posted

That's great you're recovering. So you're 6 weeks out, if you had to guess percentage of full recovery what you estimate?

Gabapentin did not work for my nerve pain. But I also take it regularly for bipolar disorder. I've been having constant neck pain for the last 3 days. It's a little discouraging that the first time I had it I had improvements by now. But this time around still no movement at day 10.

• Posted

UPDATE: DAY 16

Finally some improvement! On day 14 I woke up to about 2cm of movement on the affected side. Now (day 16) can smile with mouth closed about 85%, Cupid's bow still pulls to the right side a little bit. Can't smile with teeth just yet. Eye is almost able to close completely! So excited to finally see improvement after two long painful weeks.

Here's a list of treatments I've tried:

Steroids & antiviral

- prescribed day 1

- took steroids for 5 days

- antiviral for 7 days

Acupuncture

- started day 2 - just needles

- session 2: day 6 - electrosimulus on back and neck area. Cupping (so painful) during this session. Felt like my face was really moving afterwards but once I left...nothing rolleyes cupping left a nasty bruise on my neck but relieved a lot of the nerve pain I was feeling in my jaw, cheek, and eyebrow

- session 3: day 9 - just needles

- did not see much improvement for Bell's palsy but did relieve pain and give me more energy. I really enjoyed acupuncture. It was very relaxing and thankfully my insurance covers 24 sessions per year smile

Vitamins

- B12 gummies

- complete B vitamins

- niacin - took this on day 6 (see update) major flush. Took it again on day 8 and day 9 with no flush

Hot compress

- used this religiously for the first week

- even brought the gel pack to work

- helped a little bit to ease nerve pain

Gabapentin

- prescribed this by my psychologist to treat anxiety related to my bipolar disorder. Gabapentin is normally prescribed to diabetics for nerve pain. Figured I'd take more for the nerve pain I was having. Did nothing. Continued to take ibuprofen 800mg prescribed from dentist

Follow up on oral surgery: so I totally believe this is what triggered my Bell's palsy. Everything is healing up well and dentist said it looked great. So although doctors say dental work doesn't cause Bell's palsy, it can definitely trigger it. I assume the physical stress/trauma is a good culprit.

Pleasantly surprised of these improvements. Have been so depressed for these first weeks and worried it would last so much longer than the first time. At this pace I'm hoping I'll be fully recovered in a month. Though I don't think I'll have FULL recovery as I still had residual side effects nearly 7 years after the first episode. Expecting ongoing eye twitching for the rest of my life.

Hope these updates can help others. Having Bell's palsy once sucks, getting it again sucks even more. Let's hope a third time doesn't occur

• Posted

If you have synkenisis, eye twitching, you can  do botox that will help.  I did several months of botox.  It only lasts about 3 months. 
  • Posted

UPDATE: DAY 23

95%!!!! For the last 3 days I'm not sure I've had any improvement. If you did not know I had Bell's palsy you would never be able to tell. Smile just slightly weaker than the non-affected side. Eye closes completely. Eyebrow raises. Can make all movements. Eye does still tear uncontrollably despite it being able to close.

Happy to be back to normal, well almost!

• Posted

Hi, me again.  There also is surgery for your tearing eye.  I had the surgery and it is about 70% better.  I also had lid lifts and one more lid surgery on the affected side.  Insurance paid for all.  My affected eye was smaller after the BP.
  • Posted

Hello Alexis,

I am a freelance writer and I am writing an article on the used of cadaver bone.  Would you be willing to talk to me about your experience?

Thanks!

• Posted

If you read through this forum you will find that many, many people get BP a second time and also 3 times. Also I have heard from people with the 2nd time or 3rd is from dental work.  Probably stress related.
  • Posted

Thanks for your feedback,
    • Posted

Hi Philip, I sent you a message. You can ask me questions in the message or on here. Though I prefer to keep this thread strictly to Bell’s palsy to help others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.