2nd facet joint / caudal injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently has facet joint and caudal injections for an L5/S1 herniation with nerve compression.  It blissfully worked for 5 days but now back to the same state as before the injections (classic symptoms of this type of herniation).  I have my follow up appointment tomorrow and wondered what the chances are of a 2nd round of injections working?  Would be good to know others' experience of this.  Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nutters, best to talk to your Consultant tomorrow at your follow up. I had a short acting foraminal epidural which was short acting, mainly due to the local anaesthetic wearing off. I was offered surgery but chose to try one more. The next one gave me no relief so I'm now on a waiting list for a fusion and decompression. I have been having these injections for 3 years, and had previously had 3-6 months of reduced pain.

I had a procedure called Rhyzolosis for the facet joints, and that worked really well.

If it's your first injection and not worked, it might mean that another injection may help or surgery.

Good luck for tomorrow.

• Posted

Thanks.  Trying to avoid surgery of course, but prepared for another round of injections if there's is a good chance they might work.
    • Posted

Hi fingers crossed another injection helps. I too have severe sciatic pain in my left butt cheek, back of my thigh and then down my leg. Although the injections have some relief, I know have nerve damage in my foot and have lost all my reflexes in my joints. I'm looking forward to surgery now, otherwise I will end up in a wheel chair.

I'm 48 and broke my back when I was 11, I managed until I had a side impact car accident in 2008, and have been having non invasive treatment up until last year, when it was agreed that surgery was the last option.

I was doing Pilates and yoga up until January and I'm still trying to walk, although now on Oramorph.

Fingers crossed for today.

• Posted

Hi Nutters I too had facet joint injections on the 22/3/15 so far has realy helped, I still have pain especially if I sit too long but compared to how I was before the procedure I am a lot better off. I was under the impression though if they only lasted a very short period of time it would not be worth having them again. I maybe wrong but in my opinion what is the point if they only last 5 days? I am praying like mad that mine continue to work and allow me to continue with my pilates and walking which will hopefully help with my core! I too am trying to avoid surgery as I am worried I may end up worse, I have DDD at L5\S1 and was told if it did not improve over the next year I could have a fusion I have been told though that a fusion only helps with leg pain, but I do not experience any leg pain it is all in my lower back. I wish you well and hope you find some improvement. Unfortunately this is a long journey we are all on. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for this.  I've been on this journey for 40 years and it's only now that they will consider injections/surgery as the MRI showed nerve compression.  I'm 50 now and desperately want to stay slim and healthy but at the moment I'm in too much pain even for physiotherapy so I have to sort out the pain.  Even if it means surgery.  Most of my pain is in the buttock/hip area and then down the back of my leg into my calf and top of foot.  Anyway will post later when I've seen the doctor (he's a pain consultant)
  • Posted

Back from the hospital. Fortunately no threatened surgery for the moment.  The injections I have already had were just with steroids and the consultant said that it doesn't always work with steroids only (the injections worked for about 5 days).  Therefore he has recommended radio frequency injections - two types - pulse and something I can't remember the name of but creates heat around the little nerves..... He said definitely worth trying as there is a high success rate.  So will have those in around 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Nutters, was it Rhyzolosis? That's what I had done, they used heated rods to burn off the nerve endings of my facet joints. It was amazing, I had around 18 months of pain free time.
    • Posted

Yes that's the one!  Sounds positive then.  Thanks all for you help!
  • Posted

I'm now 10 days post second round of injections - facet joint and radio frequency.  Unfortunately after only 2 days of mild relief I'm now back to square one.  I'm not inclined to go for a third round and plan to return to the neurosurgeon - but still trying to avoid an op.  Anyone had a 3rd lot of injections work when the first two have failed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.