2nd hip Labral Tear!

Posted , 11 users are following.

So here is my story.

I am 37, and was an active person until June of last year. I had a D&C and woke up in an obscene amount of pain and it was dismissed as cramps. Finally after not giving up on one doctor telling me it was all in my head and one doctor who refused to give up on me - I was diagnosed 4 months later with a labral tear of my left hip. In December of last year I had a hip arthroscopy. I followed my doctors orders to a t and was still in an insane amount of pain. I was sent to a neurologist and then a pain management doctor. After two failed injections in my spine, the doctor asked me to see an orthopedic to satisfy his curiosity.

Another MRI later and I have been diagnosed with another labral tear in the same hip! The original doctor who did my surgery is no longer covered under my insurance so I cannot go back to him.

Apparently the surgeon today said he did impeccable work.

So here I sit, after a year of unending pain wondering if this has happened to anyone else or am I all alone?

I can't help but to feel a little defeated. Anyone can handle pain if you know when it's going to stop but a year of this has taken its toll. Please help!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello KristinLew

This is not my story either but I feel for you and wish you all he best. I do hope someone can help you as there is nothing worse than undending pain.

• Posted

Sorry I can't relate to you story. I sincerely hope that you get some resolution very soon

• Posted

I can't offer any advice as I don't know enough but read your post and wanted to say how angry I am on your behalf.  Wish you the very best.

• Posted

dear kristin, 

warm welcome to the hippies forum ..

how awful for you to be in pain for such a long time ... were you told how the labral tear might have happened? 

were you ever pain free after the hip arthroscopy?   

I don't know what to tell you and so understand that you feel defeated ... 

what can there be done about it ? another hip arthroscopy?  

Somehow it looks as if this happened after you had the D & C .. 

please come back here okay and let us know how you are getting on ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

I had a labral tear 2 years ago.  I was fortunate to have found a great surgeon who was able to operate and fix it.   I can't imagine after going through the long recovery to find out that there is another tear!  For those who haven't experienced it, it was worse that when i had a FHR.

I do know someone that this happened to though.  She went through the surgery to get the tear repaired.  After several months of physical therapy (physio), she was still in pain.  I advised her to get a second opinion, which she did.  She was told that she still had a tear.  There's no way of telling if the first surgeon didn't do the job properly in the first place, or if she damaged it by trying to do too much too soon, but she ended up having to go through the surgery a second time.  That time the surgery was a success.

My question is, why would the second surgeon say that the first did impeccable work if there is still a tear?

I realize that it's difficult to see the bright side right now, but at least you have a diagnosis. That's the first step to recoverysmile  Make sure that you are confident in your surgeon and let them fix it for you as soon as possible.

Best wishes! 

• Posted

Hi. I  am so sorry to hear this. This is exactly what has happened to my daughter after pregnancy. The first op failed and her symptoms took such a long time to get slightly better after the op. But got worsen again soon after  

After a year she was diagnosed with same problem on the same side. She has been through hell and is so happens that the first doctor had not done a good job. She lost her job because of it and had to care for a new born baby after the op too. We have had such a difficult time past year. She is due for second op on 28th of March. Please pray for her. 

I wish you all the best. 

Please let us know how yours is going. 

I know the pain you have gone through. 

Xxx

• Edited

Hi, I dont know if you are still checking this but I am going through the same thing and looking for advice. I had the surgery and now a year and half later i have another labrum tear. I dont want to go through all of this again. What course of action did you end up taking? Did you get the replacement? That is what my doctor is suggesting. I plan to get a second opinion but this is very frustrating and I would be grateful if you could offer any insight.

Kristin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.