2nd opinion and so confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little back story. I had appendix out Sept 2017. Ct scan at that time showed diverticula but I wasn't told. Colonoscopy Jan 2016 told diverticula don't worry. One week later I am in urgent consult and you have diverticulitis. So since then been to my family doc a few times and urgent consult again with diverticulitis. Colorectal surgeon I saw today said you have diverticula but no sign of ever having diverticulosis. WHAT???? Other doc wants to resect me but I kept putting it off now this doc is saying let's ct and if no inflamation you don't have diverticulitus. So other doc may have given me a resection for no reason. WHAT??? I am so lost. I will continue to eat low residue just in case but wow I don't know what to believe now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry other doc is the surgeon who did my appendix, colonoscopy and wants to resect me and the colorectal surgeon was my second opinion. I had to fight for that second opinion.
  • Posted

In my opinion, that is way to quick a jump for surgery!  You are doing the right thing by watching your diet, but if it is actually a diverticulitis attack, you will generally have a fever, feel a lot of abdominal pain which will usually localize on your left side, or wherever the divertula thats infected happens to be.  Your blood count will also indicate infection.  Even if it is diverticulitis, you don't have surgery after one attack.  I have had 3 over 8 years, and they haven't even considered surgery.  Good fo you to get a 2nd opinion - he sounds much more reliable and not so "cut happy".  You will just have to be more aware of your diet and what to eat - more what not to eat the rest of your life, but it really isn't that restrictive!!  

• Posted

It seems every doc has different opinions! Even my doctor and ER doctors tell me different contradicting information When I have a infection I am doubled over but never diareah or throwing up or bloody stools they should c if your white blood cell count is high that means infection Also When I have infection 101.5 temperature Good luck I hope it gets figured out
  • Posted

That’s why you always must get a second opinion.  I have had numerous flair ups over a 15 year span and never was surgery suggested. So I saw conservative surgeon and he too said having one or two a year is ok.  If you get repeated flair ups often  then it may be a different story but always get at least two surgeons opinions.  It is not an easy operation so you must think twice before asking for surgery...good luck!
  • Posted

I have had 5 flare ups in 1 1/2 years or so I thought. The colorectal surgeon is saying it might not be diverticulitis at all even though 4 other docs said they were. But she is still willing to do a resection and "let's see if that makes you feel better" WTF!?!?

• Posted

Please do not do this That is ludicrous! I know how expensive getting another option can b if need b go to a bigger town and a top dog doctor even if it takes 6 month's to get a appointment!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.