2nd ovary surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello. i'm 23 and this is going to be my 3rd surgery in a couple of years (one of the other 2 on my right ovary, the 2nd on the cervix). i went to a regular checkup, consisting of an internal scan ans the doctor found a 3 cm "complex cyst" on my left ovary saying it's a dermoid cyst. what scares me is the fact that at the first ovarian surgery, when he removed another dermoid cyst on the right ovary, he never mentioned the existence of any dermoid cyst on the other ovary. from my knowledge, you are born with such cysts so i wonder if he could've missed it (maybe it was too little). i am not even sure if they change in size, but how could he have missed it and now be so sure that it's a dermoid one. i'm extremely scared and can't get this out of my head

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

ana11410 i also had 2 dermoids on each ovary but one was so small and not causing any pain or problems so he only removed the large cyst that was causing pain and discomfort. he mightve seen it and thought nothing of it. why is it being removed now ? a lot of doctors do watchful waiting and just monitor the cyst. they can absolutely change in size but dermoids dont get smaller as my dr mentioned. other cysts can but not dermoids. 3cm is small mine was 10 cm and the other which is still there was 1.2 cm so it doesnt bother me. if its not bothering you i would ask them why they are going to do another surgery. be careful sometimes doctors just want to fill their pockets with insurance money. be your own advocate and ask questions before making another decision to go under the knife!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.