2nd Radiofreq. Ablation did not work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new today. I had two RFA procedures done in 2014. This was after 3 sets of epidural spinal injections done over a year's time throughout 2013. The first RFA worked so well I was nearly psin free for 9 months. I was overjoyed to feel normal again. I have bulging discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1, causing radiculopathy and sciatica. Having had such amazing relief from the 1st RFA, when the pain started to return, I had the 2nd RFA. During the procedure, the doc had a problem at the bottom two burning sites and the pain was so bad I screamed for him to stop. He did... briefly.. but asked me to "hang on" for the 90 seconds and it would be done.

I never got relief from this second procedure...not even for one day. Fast forward to Dec 2015 and the pain is worse than ever. And I just read today that a complication of RFA is "permanent nerve pain", I was never told about this complication! I'm permanently disabled now, on SSDI and walk with a cane. Even after researching for 2 yrs. online, I just found out about this complication TODAY. Very upset. Anyone else have complications from RFA? I feel very alone in this.

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know.  I'm about to have my first RFA.  I'll have to ask about it because the sympathetic nerve block I had at L4 helped on the right side, but got my sciatica pain flared up on the left side.  I'm so sorry about this, sounds like your doctor messed up.  I'm permanently disabled with permanent nerve pain after my doctor damaged my femoral nerve during a lateral fusion.  Have you talked to a neurologist? Don't know if that would help, but bless your heart. So sorry.
    • Posted

Thank you, Linda. My nerve block worked too and the first RFA worked so well, I went back for the second one. I thought I had found a cure. But now I'm worse than when I started out. I hope your RFA works perfectly. My insurance only allows mediation, you can't outright sue them. I called and called but could not find a lawyer to take my case, and I live in a major city in the U S. God bless you and please let me know how your RFA goes.
  • Posted

Also, Linda, you asked if I had seen a neurologist. Yes, I have. And two physiotherapists and they said "there's nothing to be done". I had to nearly give up my first born to even get pain medication, which doesn't work anyway. I can't walk more than half a city block without horrible pain in my sciatic area. I walk with a cane and always fear falling. I have bulging discs which the docs say may get worse if operated on. I feel very stuck now, but keep looking for solutions. Thank you again for your reply smile
    • Posted

I tried to sue the surgeon that fused my spine from L2-S1 and didn't get the screws in right, so I had to have a second fusion (which also failed), and he also damaged my femoral nerve.  I live in a major city too, and I could not get an attorney to even listen to me.  They couldn't seem to wrap their heads around it.
    • Posted

The thing I got most often was that the attorney would have a very difficult time proving my anesthesiologist, who did the procedure, did not follow the "standard of care". Very frustrating. And I fhad already gone through dealing we with lawyers years ago for something else not medically related and had a nervous breakdown in the process. Sometimes you just have to hope Karma comes around and smacks certain people in the face. I'm working on feeling empowered again, but it's a long road and very difficult when you have chronic pain.
    • Posted

Joy, I've learned the hard way none of these doctors have the answer. I think once your back or neck is messed up, you're just messed up for good.

There is no magic cure.

• Posted

I had a laminectomy L4/5 in July 2013, then a laminectomy L3/4 and fusion L4/5 in Feb 2015. Excrutiating pain post op, difficult recovery but had relief of pain for about 3 months. I'm told now that I have failed back syndrome and that the disk between L5/S1 has flattened and I have "bone on bone" and am always in pain. About 2 months ago I had an endoscopic rhizotomy performed by my anesthesiologist (pain management provider) and got good relief from anterior thigh pain of my left leg which was near debilitating.  I'm hoping to get the procedure done on my right side. Not sure how long I have to wait. Previously I had RFA but effect lasted a very short time.  Fortunately I had no complications. You might want to ask your Dr about the endoscopic rhizotomy. I understand it is fairly new. If anyone has had any luck with relief of low back pain, please let me know. NOTHING I have done has even touched the pain. Thank you and good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for responding! That is very good news to hear that you got good results from your endoscopic rhizotomy. I was not familiar with this procedure, so I did some research on it. It sounds like it is fairly simple (compared to other procedures), and I definitely will look into it further. As long as it's not investigational, my ins. probably covers it. But I have to check into that. In any case, you have given me new hope that there may be something else that can be done to relieve my pain. Thank you again for your response....taking a few minutes to respond has helped me so much! Best, Joy

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I have nerve damage to my femoral nerve from a surgery and it causes a deep aching and burning in my outer left thigh sometimes going to the back of my leg.  I have been using lidoderm patches which help, but they fall off like twice a day.  Boy, I can relate to your pain, I was in horrible pain today with my leg and my SI pain.  I ended up taking an extra pain pill which means I will be short tomorrow.  But some days you are desperate.  I used to have a Medtronic Neurostimulator (SCS) which was actually helpful with the pain in my legs - you know the achiness. But they took it out during another back surgery, and when the new doctor put one back in, he put it in the wrong place, so it's not helping.  Now they have suggested a Nevro Sensa neurostimulator which is similar to the Medtronic except you don't get the tingling (which I liked) and also it is supposed to help with pain in your legs AND your back.  Medtronic only helps your legs. But I have read a lot of negative reviews.  I am getting an RFA soon which helped with my neuropathy in my right foot but not the aching in my leg.  I never heard of an endoscopic rhizotomy so I  am going to ask my doctor about it.  My L5-S1 fusion has failed twice, and they said, oh' well, we're just going to leave it, and My L1-S2 is bone on bone.  It's sure no fun living this way.  I quit working Dec 2014 because I couldn't sit in my chair any longer.  I am waiting on SSI.  I already got a reject - they said "well, we know you've had 5 back surgeries, but we think you can still do your job." The reason I am in severe pain today is because I went out to eat, and then went to Michaels and shopped a little. 

Take care and good luck to you.  If your left leg is still good be grateful and focus on that. 

• Posted

Linda, you sound so much like me in this post to Patricia. I had to quit a job I loved in Dec. 2011 because I could no longer sit at my desk. I had had only the epidural spinal injections at this point, not even the first RFA. So things really went downhill. I just refuse to accept that this is going to be my life. I guess it's good that I...and you...and everyone on this board are still fighting to have a life. I won't give up until they pry my cane from my cold, dead hand.
    • Posted

I know. I've had 5 back surgeries and 2 neurostimulator implants.  Numerous epidural spinal injections - -at least 25-30. Most recently, I got a sympathetic nerve block at L4 on both sides. On the left side, it hurt my back - he had problems getting the needle in, so no help there, but on the right side it helped with my neuropathy that I have in my foot. So, I'm going to get an RFA. Or maybe I'll ask about that endoscopic rhizony.  If it's a simpler procedure, maybe I should do that. It sure is nice to talk to someone who understands.  I have 2 grandchildren in Colorado - I go visit about 3 times a year. A 12 year old and a 2 year old.  I usually end up babysitting the 2 year old while I'm there, and it's very very hard, but I want my grandchildren to know me. I'm 61. I really worry about what will happen when I'm older.  I'm not very active - mostly lay in bed, moving around between 3 different positions. Or on the couch.  I can only take each position for so long, and then I have to move.  Sitting at a computer is just out of the question. 
  • Posted

I have been searching like a crazy person online to find anyone who's had an experience similar to me. I had RFA done on my lower back a little over a month ago. I have arthritis and some bulging in a couple of discs. I can't remember which discs but they're rather low. They did the procedure on the right side and two weeks later on the left. I was completely awake for both procedures and the first one was somewhat painful but the 2nd on my left side was really awful and the third needle down my back felt like a metal pole had been crammed into my back. I left and sat in my car and cried, then took one of my pain pills and went home. The pain has been much worse than it was before the procedure and I've been having to take a full Tramadol to get any relief whatsoever when before I could manage if I broke one in half. There was always pain but 1/2 made it so I could somewhat function. I just saw my doctor this past Monday and told him it's not improving but getting worse and he offered steroid injections but I'm not sure I want to risk anymore needles in my back after my last experience. I could never have imagined my pain being this much worse and I never have a good day as I did before every now and then. I guess misery does love company because I was relieved to find someone else had a negative experience with RFA and I'm not the only one.

• Posted

I had 3 RFA on my left lower back and 3 on my right lower back about two weeks ago. The procedure was extremely painful and my doctor kept giving me more sedation but it didn't help. I experienced moderate pain, as was expected, until about 3 days ago. Now I have severe pain beyond a 10 on the scale whenever I move. My doctor's staff are not answering phones so I left messages. Nurse called back twice to say she would speak with the doctor and get back to me. 48 hours - still waiting. My daughter will take me to the ER. I'm in pain and angry.

• Posted

Jodi, it was certainly a walk down memory lane re-reading all these posts from six years ago, after I got an alert in my email that there was a new response to my thread. I'm sorry you're having so much pain. My advice is to keep asking the docs for help and to go to the ER if things get bad. Anything could be going on. For me, six years later, I now have severe neuropathy in my left leg and walk with a rollator walker and sometimes a cane. I'm very unsteady on my feet and cannot stand for long periods of time. I didn't have further treatments on my back. I weaned myself off of all prescription pain meds five years ago as they were causing more trouble than helping. I have pain and there's a lot now I can't do, but I'm grateful for my life. There's been a lot of acceptance on my part. I wish you the very best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.