2nd TKR just done

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well second TKR done now,5hrs post op haha, spinal has worn off now and beginning to feel the pain as expected,surgeon says everything went according to plan.I will be getting a bedside portable x-ray done sometime tonight to make sure its positioned ok.Tonight is not going to be good but i will get through it,ive got these inflaters on my calf'es so every 30 secs they inflate alternativley so sleep wont happen tonight i'm afraid.The morphine will be flowing i expect,already doing a little moving my toes towards me then pushing them away,gently pushing my knee down into the mattress only once or twice hourly.I Know it a bit early to post but i thought why not.I Will keep posting progress all going well

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Just to clear up something i put on the post,i'm not physically pushing my knee into mattress,just letting the knee do it itself so its not much

pressure at all ,but its something.

• Posted

I have my second TKR next Tuesday. Hope I'll be as positive as you ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Look forward to hearing about your progress Brent!

• Posted

Omg, your great to be this positive so soon....well done you and I hope all goes well...I had TKR done in June this year and I will Not, no way go through that again. Still get pain... When did you have first one done. ? Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Rosemary,first one August 2017 and rosemary honestly its been a text book recovery,ok it a prosthetic knee and you can feel that its not a natural feeling ie tight skin on the knee side,a still a numbness,but apart from them minor points,its fantastic really,my left leg is so much stronger i can do so much more now,i perfectly aware there is no guaranteed this second tks will be as good but i feel ive given myself the best chance same surgeon and hospital and i will put the work in as well.As chico once said you need to own it,and kick its a##.EVERY TKR patient think positive,than pain will move on and so will you. Bless you all

• Posted

Rosemary,you say june this year for your TKR that not a long time mind for the most brutal surgery,this is major surgery rosemary please stay positive a few months down the line something else will ease or disappear probably without you even realising. honestly rosemary stay patient you'll see.

• Posted

Aww! Thank you Brent for those lovely words of encouragement, especially as your right in the middle of your awful time, how are you today ?

• Posted

good luck &I hope u have a healthy &quick recovery! I'm about to have surgery again on the same knee on December 4th,it's been 8 months since my 1st surgery & I'm not looking forward to having it done again so quickly but I have to get this knee right bc I have other things to do besides therapy!

• Posted

Hi well I had my first one in March 2018 and although told myself would never ever go through that pain again I've been to see my consultant and guess what yes booked right knee for early next year. You are so positive its great knowing that your attitude will help you. The thought of pain free from arthritis helped me make the decision to get it done. The left one is great still niggles but compared to the pain I had nothing to complain about. Going to get the scar tissue dealt with too whilst being operated on as the consultant says a bonus!!!! I have faith in him and you keep that positivity up so good luck remember ice ice ice xx

• Posted

Hi Ann,i had no cartlidge left on either knee and was suffering awfully with artritis in the knees,The surgeon said to me your 58years old and heading for a wheelchair,that was it for me,and like it said first tkr text book recovery so never a doubt for me for a second (no guarantees it will be the same but i'll do everything i can),im only round 20 hrs post op and its bloody painful but i'll get through it and its a long chewy recovery road with all about the end game. But TKR patients need to take this head on,been positive not negative you cannot rush this recovery patience is essential also sleep,i preach to people if your not sleeping your not recovering especially in the first 4-6 weeks go to your GP and get prescripion sleeping pills to get you through the hard start i did and it made such a difference helped me no end and i'll be doing the same this time All the best ann.

• Posted

i had my surgery my surgery march 6th of this yr& every since I got it done i have been miserable! the piece is loose the swelling never really left! I did what my dr&the therapist told me to do& i still wind up with alot of scar tissue! the pain is so intense,especially when I'm sleeping or walking! so my doc recommended at 1st manipulation but upon futher conversations we decided for him just to reopen the scar,clean out the scar tissue &reset the part,if it needs resetting! i truly dnt want to go thru this kind of pain again but at this point,i don't have a choice! since u have been thru this twice,do u have any advice for me? my 2nd surgery is scheduled for Dec 4th! i wish u good luck&a speedy recovery๐Ÿ˜

• Posted

Well as expected rough night ,pain say 7-8 out of 10 only managed around 3 hours split sleep had a few morphine shots but feeling better this morning,the physio had me up this morning (i questioned her as it wasn't even 24 hrs after the op) but anyway got up very gingerly, she gave me a zimmer frame to start, up and down the corridoor then she took the zimmer away put me on two sticks again up and down,(again questioned her as she asked me go up and down steps) i managed but a bit much too soon for me. Back in bed with the iced cryo cuff on.

• Posted

Gosh, that's a lot so soon, usually the next day it's easy exercises in the bed, and a trip to the bathroom guided on the Zimmer frame, hope your feeling ok ....Rose

• Posted

Exactly rosemary definately to soon,it caused a slight bleed on the dressing nothing major but not necassary in my opinion,so im a bit wary of even doing bed exercises.

• Posted

Take it easy tomorrow, you know what your body can take, I found a lot of the physiotherapist were only out of college and were going by the text book, I don't want to sound patronising towards the young, they were lovely girls but this is something you need a lot of experience in, even somebody who has never had a TKR doesn't understand what it's like, I don't tell anybody who asked me how's the knee....I just say it's fine because the first person I said it was still stiff and painful at times they looked at me like I was looking for attention, you do what you feel is right for you, you said you did all the right things last time so they should know, you know what your talking about, take care of yourself...Rose

• Posted

Actually it was a young girl rose,it wasnt the usual one ive had here must of been his weekend off.Anyway i didn't do all i was asked i stopped when i felt i was on the wrong side of the line,to be fair she accepted that, but yes physio's can be a bit brutal but as you say you know yourself when you've had enough,but theres a lot of patients who dont say sorry ive done enough and end up with a balooned knee.Apart from that im happy with my knee,my x ray today came back fine the new knee has set right,so its down to me now,will keep posting progress.

• Posted

That's great news bren,especially after a big workout yesterday, do keep us updated, I have a feeling you will have no problems at all, ๐Ÿ‘

• Posted

Home now so i must be careful i will need to put the brakes on,little and often for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.