2nd to 4th metatarsal fractured

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, iv recently had a non-displaced fracture on my 2nd 3rd and 4th metatarsal. Any idea how long i will be in crutches and a cast for? I was at the fracture clinic on Thursday and have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. Also has anyone any tips for the pain at night, i find it worse at night time.

Thanks a mill

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Time in a cast is different for everyone, it really depends on how well you're healing, where the fractures are, how good the blood supply is to that area, how fit you were to begin with etc etc.

I broke my 5th metatarsal and ankle, consultant took one look at my x-ray and told me the fracture in my foot was in an area notorious for taking a very lon time to heal. After two weeks had a screw put in the 5th metatarsal, so ended up eight weeks in the cast, then four weeks in a boot weight bearing with both crutches, since then I've been having physio and gradually bearing more weight and using the boot less. I'm now week 16, only use the boot when the foot's swollen and I need to stand and today graduated to one crutch when at home, still need two for steps and walking longer distances. Still can't put full weight on the one foot, but I'm getting there.

Keep your foot elevated at night, I couldn't sleep with the weight of bed covers on mine so bought a large fluffy sock to keep my toes warm.

Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Thanks Susan, ya the fluffy socks are a great idea, i find the duvet cover too heavy also. I suppose I'll know more after the 2nd appointment at the fracture clinic.

Hope your on the mend soon enough smile

• Posted

Hi Sionhan

I fractured my 3rd 4th )in 3 places) and 4th.

Took codeine first few days for pain then it settled.

Was in plaster non weight bearing for 6 weeks. Plaster was removed a week ago and now in boot for another six. Take boot off at home and using crutches. Can use one crutch but my foot began to hurt a little so back on 2 and 50% weight bearing. Doing exercises and hydrotherapy which is good.

Sleep on back with foot outside duvet. I had a pillow under duvet and a smaller one outside with foot on it. Put light blanket over foot if it gets cold

My shoulders got sore initially with crutches but after a couple of weeks got pretty strong

I bought cycle gloves then got shoe inners and cut to fit in the gloves as was getting sore hands and callouses

If you have a ankle plaster massage your ankle and leg as much as possible and do leg lifts etc when the pain subsides as your leg muscle wastes

Make sure you get plenty of calcium and Citamin D (sunshine)

It is not easy - I live alone so had to do it all but managed. Had to get a cleaner a few times but reorganised my flat so it all worked. Made sure I went out every day so got good getting on and off buses and shopping and going to movies.

A little backpack is invaluable - carried it around house but you do have to plan everything you do to avoid going back and forwards when you forget something.

Good luck

Alison

• Posted

Thanks Alison, I've moved back home for a few weeks, im lucky enough to be able to do that i suppose. Thanks a million for all your tips though, especially with the crutches.

I suppose I'll find out more at the fracture clinic when I go.

Hope you feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.