2nd Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, Not too bad a week all in all. Happy to report the UTI hasn't returned and its almost 2 weeks since I finished my week long course of antibiotics.

Monday was good. I was out at a coffee shop with my friend. No discomfort.

By Tuesday pm I was getting a bit of discomfort. But it had eased by Wednesday morning.

Wednesday lunchtime I was applying more Hydromol and must have slightly scratched myself without realising because I had some soreness for a few hours after. It eventually died down though and ive been OK since. Just had slight feelings of wanting to wee all the time but nothing bad like I've known in the last year.

I am still taking this all a day at a time. I was in a lot of pain with "AV" for a long time and a lot of discomfort with wanting to wee all the time too. And the recent UTI wasn't good either.

But it does seem to have calmed down a bit. I know I am taking it one day at a time but I am living in hope too.

1 like, 142 replies

142 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Shirley , I'm sorry to hear you are having a grim day , but I read your post with interest , what you are describing feels very much like my symptoms , I feel like i have something stuffed inside my urethral ( sorry to be blunt) now I'm wondering if it is an infection of the urethra

Urethris? 🐯

I say this because we have both had urinary infections . I am definitely going to suggest it to my go when I see her in the morning , maybe that could be it ? . It would be winderful if it was that simple .

i find its best to suggest to the doctor what you think it may be , if only to rule out .

• Posted

Hi Jools, Sorry to hear your symptoms are just like mine. I have felt like there is something stuffed inside my Urethra too if I'm honest. Yes that's true. We have both had infections. I will mention it to my Doc too. It would be fab if it were that simple wouldn't it. It does makes sense about the urethra becoming enflamed after a UTI. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes I always tell my Doc what I think the problem is.

And whilst I've felt this way for over a year (On and off) - I have always considered that the wanting to wee all the time feeling was part of the Vaginal Atrophy. But yes maybe it can feel that way after a UTI too. Will mention it to Doc tomorrow.

• Posted

I just google Urethris , and it says the urethra can become inflamed after a urine infection , which is a possible thought? 
  • Posted

Great Shirley, we can compare notes tommorow 

take care x

• Posted

Yes that's a good idea. It will be this time (4.15pm) before I get back on here. Will catch up with you then. :-)
  • Posted

Just to say that after my visit to Docs yesterday I started with the Ovestin HRT (Cream) tonight. Will see how I get on with it.
    • Posted

Hi Lee, After a really rough night after using the Ovestin, I won't be using it again! Yes it burned awful. Got up for a wee at 3am. That was no problem. But when I went an hour later it felt like I'd got a UTI again!! sad That's as well as the burning sensation inside all night. Want to go to bathroom now but I daren't sad. Won't be using it again, I can tell you! It was awful. sad
    • Posted

Shirley my heart goes out to you.  It really does.  Surely your GP has GOT to refer you somewhere because nothing they've tried has been any good.  There is something I'm wondering if  might help - I told you that Professor McPherson wrote that article about the vested interests of the NICE committee and he was the one who advised about the vagifem and the overdose of it for me.  He was such a nice chap.  I don't know if this will lead anywhere BUT my husband reckons he's still got his email address.  IF you want to post privately and tell me whereabouts you are in the country (there is no pressure if you don't want to do this - I'm purely trying to get you an option) then my husband will email him and tell him the problem and see if he is either close enough to you or if he can recommend someone to help.  If this doesn't appeal, no worries at all.  If you want to stick with the GP, again, no worries, or if you want to leave things as they are, again, no worries.  It is purely a thought.
    • Posted

Thank you Chris for your kind words, support and ideas to help. Greatly appreciated. I will think about what you said. It is really very kind of you to want to help me like this. Last night was awful. You would think someone had aimed a blow torch up there! I also noticed that as soon as I got into bed I was shivering badly for ages. Wether that was another side effect, I don't know. This morning I had a shower and washed my vaginal area with Hydromol. Plus I've smeared some down there afterwards too. So I'm hoping the discomfort will slowly ease. I can live in hope. Hope you are doing OK. it's not easy being a woman is it?!!
    • Posted

Shirley, I've just asked Matron privately if sometimes there simply ISN'T an answer or if it's just that it's a case of being sent to the right person to find that answer.  I think that's a question we need to know the answer of.  It went through my mind was I giving you false hope if some women just never find the answer to it, but I'll see what she says anyway.  It just sounds so awful - it almost sounds as though your body went into shock with the pain!  I almost feel awful to say - I'm absolutely fine thank you!  The pessary settled beautifully and the coconut oil twice a day is working wonderfully and the tissues are moist, and plumped up and comfortable and actually in the best condition they've been for months and months.  I don't think about the pessary or the area at all now, apart to dollop a chunk of coconut oil in, first thing in the morning after I shower and last thing at night in bed.  The  downside is that it is a bit messy and I'm having to use daily panty pads during the day but that might be because I'm perhaps using more than I need to, but hey, it works:-))))  BUT I SO SO wish I could help solve others' problems as easily as this!  I hope the pain from last night goes quickly with the Hydromol, but most of all, I hope you and others find an answer to get this sorted properly.
    • Posted

Don't worry Chris. It would be very interesting to know what Matron says. I'm seriously thinking there is no answer.

Now I am puzzled beyond words when it comes to medication because my mum was a Christian Scientist which basically meant she never took pills, tablets, medication of any kind and never went to Docs or hospital either! She must have had water infections, headaches, possibly VA, anything really. I don't understand how she coped with a UTI without antibiotics etc!!

But yes it felt like some sort of shock reaction last night.

I am glad you are absolutely fine :-) Great news about your pessary and coconut oil. When you talk about a chunk of coconut oil, do you mean it solidifies in the fridge overnight or something? I use pads too with the Hydromol. Yes I wish there was an answer for myself and the other ladies in this position too. If nobody was home now I would be crying my eyes out. Not only for the Vaginal pain but I would be crying about my mum too, and Paris! I feel quite down with it all.

• Posted

The coconut oil is soft but solid at room temperature.  So it's not like trying to get a fluid up there on a finger - it's more like getting a very soft pessary there - I rake a little chunk out with my fingers and squash it into the right shape.  I'm so impressed with it that I've now got two spare jars of the stuff LOL!

Yes, I wonder how your Mum managed too, but I guess lots of our Mums suffered in silence and we never knew.  Unless there is a difference in something these days - our diets, or the way we live or some other aspect, that means we have more problems in that way generally.  I can SO understand how you're feeling.  I can imagine what a disappointment it must have been to have such a bad reaction last night, too - you had hope but now that's gone and left you feeling worse for it.   I think things pile up and make you feel more vulnerable, and lack of sleep makes it all worse.  BUT, from what Matron has said, it sounds as though there might well be an answer for this, but it's a question of finding the right person.  Just know that we're here for you, and if we can help in any way, you only have to say.  You're not alone with this.  So, chin up, and let's hope that somehow between us all on here, some answers are found! 

• Posted

Oh i am soo sorry..im scared to take anything,but also scared not to.Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Lee. I've been in that same predicament too. Scared to take something and scared not to at the same time. Still feel rough this afternoon to be honest. :-(
    • Posted

Oh that Coconut oil sounds marvellous Chris. Yes probably lots of mums suffered in silence though not many for the same reason as my mum I think. Yes utterly disappointed after last night. sad I agree that things pile up and make you feel more vulnerable. Think that's what's happening to me. So Matron thinks there might be an answer for this. Goodness only knows who the right person is though! Thank you for saying I'm not alone with all this. Yes fingers crossed some answers will soon be found. :-)
    • Posted

If you, or Lee or anyone else would like us to ask Klim McPherson if he can recommend someone who is knowledgeable on vaginal atrophy, just let me know privately very roughly where you are in the country, and we'll ask - do it fairly soon because if one person says they'd like us to ask we need to ask for any other areas at the same time - I'd feel awkward keep asking him but am happy to ask once.  My thoughts are that we're most likely to find a good person to be referred to by recommendation rather than googling.  I did google but didn't come across anyone particularly mentioned for VA.  If I was going back to my urogynie lady who was so good when she sorted out a prolapse pessary for me, I'd ask her, but I'm not due to see her for a while now.  OR if anyone has any idea of someone else to ask perhaps they can ask for other areas of the country too?  After all, one gynie often knows another and may well know of research that's been done that might be helpful.
    • Posted

They just opened a special clinic for menopause at the other hospital in town..not the one i go to.we are waiting to see what kind of insurance my husbands company offers for next year..im sure it will be an even higher deductable etc.Even if it doesn't cover it i might pay out of pocket to see if they can help me sort out what to do.you are so kind to offer your help . Thanks for being a friend.
    • Posted

My anxiety does not do well with this..hard to not think about something when it varies so from day today.Take care and keep us posted.
    • Posted

Lee that is such good news that you might have somewhere on your doorstep!   I really would do what I could to help because I feel it's so awful for women to be left in this sort of situation.  I' mhoping now that you might find an answer there and be able to point others in the right direction:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.