3 1/2 weeks post op from toe fusion. Any tips for healthy recovery and swelling?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my left great toe  fused two years ago and this past January I just had my right one done.  The last one went great without any problems and this one seems to be a bit of a problem child. More pain and much more swelling. Any tips or  advice on how to reduces swelling and a healthy recovery? I've literally been icing 10-13 times a day for swelling. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you keeping your feet up above your hips?  

Watermelon can help reduce water retention but not likely going to help with this. 

Good luck.  I hope it improved. 

• Posted

Yes I am, and I really only get up and around to go to the bathroom, get something to eat and bathe. Been icing on a regular basis. I've been eating foods packed with  protein helpful vitamins and fiber. Just frustrating the swelling doesn't seems to  dissipate 

• Posted

I am 10 days post-op, having had fusion on my big toe and Weil osteotomies on my second and third toes. My doctor prescribed Voltaren Retard 75 against swelling and inflammation. I have been taking it since the operation and so far have no swelling.  I am in Belgium and it may well go under a different name elsewhere, but it is made by Novartis so would probably be available wherever you are.  I take it twice a day with food, and have had no side effects. Might be worth a try? 
  • Posted

PS  A pharmacist will have a list of equivalent names if your doctor doesn't.

• Posted

If you can keep it up as that helps a lot 

For it stops swelling.I have replied to a lot how I went I had bunion done 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.