3 1/2 years on prednisone. Now I’m off and have anxiety, nausea l, light headedness and brain fog.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 39-year-old male with ocular myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune disease. i was prescribed prednisone about 3 1/2 years ago. I started off on 40 mg then went down to 30, then was basically a 20 for about two full years. Starting in January of this year(2020), I started tapering down to 15, then 10 for several weeks then back-and-forth between 10 and five, and then 5 mg for six weeks before stopping completely on June 4th.

I felt ok for the first week after stopping, but since then have had the following symptoms:

Nausea, light headedness, brain fog(severe at times), anxiety, and just generally not feeling well

My neurologist said there is no way its because of the prednisone because I was on such a small dose, even though I was taking the drug at some level for 3 1/2 years.

I'm going to get my cortisol levels checked soon, but definitely don't want to go back on prednisone if they say I'm low.

Am i going crazy, or is this normal after being on it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are showing typical symptoms of adrenal insufficiency - I am appalled at your neurologist's knowledge level! To reduced from 15mg to zero since January was far too fast - from 10 to zero after so long on pred above 10mg would be expected to take more than that and a recent study in Leeds has found that far more people have difficulty regaining good adrenal function after long term pred than has been thought. You should have had a synacthen test once you got to 3mg - you should have tapered from 5mg at not more than 1mg per month. That shows if your adrenal glands CAN work, not that they are doing so.

You need to see your GP asap and discuss this. You could become very ill if you were to develop an adrenal crisis and need hospital treatment, one friend of mine was in ICU as a result. They may not put you on pred - though it is a good option when you are used to it - but an endocrinologist might suggest hydroxycortisone which is the usual approach to get adrenal function to start up again as you taper the steroid dose SLOWLY.

But not to take anything isn't really an option - it could make you very seriously ill.

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I think I should have tapered slower also. i have an appointment for labs tomorrow. My neurologist prescribed 1mg of prednisone that i can start taking after I do my labs if I want. I'm not sure how I feel about getting back on it but I definitely don't want to feel like this .

• Posted

1mg isn't enough to deal with adrenal insufficiency - please get advice from your GP.

• Posted

are you doing better? Did you have to take prednisone again? I feel horrible after stopping prednisone and I only took it for 5 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.