3.8cm Lymph node in neck

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a small nodule on my thyroid that i get looked at yearly. its 9mm and is of no concern. I have always had large lymph nodes in my neck, and doctors have never seemed concerned with them and i have never known the exact size... until recently.

i have a new doctor.

When i went to get my yearly thyroid ultrasound, it showed that i have large nodes the size of 3.8cm!!!! i wish he never told me the size, because i have lived my life just fine knowing that i just have large nodes.... until now. 3.8cm is ridiculously big!

Google is my enemy, and now i think i have something thats gonna kill me. Im not looking to die yet!

anywho, he has requested that i get a head and neck CT so he can get a better look at all my lymph nodes. im just waiting to hear from the department to schedule the appointment.

What will the head and neck CT show?

i just recently had my CBC done as well as a bunch of other routine blood tests and ever single one came back in the normal range.

i constantly have sinus issues;its been many years of it. (stuffy nose and boogers, occassional bloody nose if i blow too hard... i live in the mountains where its dry.... i just assumed this was the culprit)

i will definitely update everyone once i get the results of the CT, but i just wondered if anyone else has had this large of a cervical lymph node and it be nothing? Remind you: ive had them like this for YEARS 10+ years.

3.8cm cervical lymph node, painless, moveable, i cant tell the consistency of it, i dont know if its rubbery or not. when i push on it, it moves around.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't be of much help, but I have hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's and I also have pretty large lymph nodes that are painless going down the left side of my neck.  The largest is about 3cm and then they get smaller as they go down the chain.  My thyroid doctor told me it's because of thyroid issues.  That's good your doctor is looking into more.

• Posted

How old are you? I have so many little lymph nodes from all round, last year I took one for biopsy and the result was oh okay but then they are still standing although I have right shoulder back pain all the time. I don’t know if anyone have idea what could that be
    • Posted

I'm 38 years old.  My lymph nodes weren't always large, they got big about 6 months before getting diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which was caused by Hashimoto's.  It's autoimmune, so the only thing I could think of mine are enlarged because my body is attacking my thyroid?  Not sure though...

• Posted

Just following up with y'all.

i have had a tiny 9mm nodule on my thyroid which had been found to be of no worry.

i get an ultrasound for it every year to make sure it doesnt change, and that is when they found my VERY large lymph nodes. I have a rubbery large node in my supraclavicular as well. I have had melanoma on my foot and lymphoma runs in my family. so that is why my dr is showing some concern.

I had my head CT done and all came back clear and normal.

I will have my neck and chest CT with contrast on Thursday to see if any other nodes are enlarged.

will keep you updated.

for reference, nodes should be less than 1cm.... mine are 3.8cm..... anything over 2cm is cause for concern.

• Posted

Had my CT with contrast scan yesterday. Nothing to report as of yet. it went smoothly.

• Posted

My head, neck, and chest CT came back clear... with no abnormalities. bizarre. My neck nodes are still enlarged tho and the doctors think it is nonspecific. i "just have large nodes".

Take Care Y'all.

• Posted

Hi i have had swollen lymph nodes on my left side of neck for about 8 years now, approx 3cm I had lots of tests and neck scan when i got the first one and even though all seemed ok the ent doctor still felt it needed to be removed. After surgical removal they did a biopsy on the lymph node and it all came back clear. All was great until 2 years later another one appeared again had all the same uncomfortable tests all ok again but doctor still decided to remove. So back to theatre for the 2nd removal and after the node was biposied again it came back completly clear from any cancerous cells etc. Another 2 years on and another one appears! Yet again more tests that all came back clear but doctor still wanted to operate again he did say he has never known this before, where he removes one and another one comes up. This time i said no as its getting ridiculous, the op isnt easy and always a risk they will damage the facial nerves so like i said to my ent doctor he cant keep cutting them away for them to just reappear. So i have had the latest one for over 3 years now i am slightly concerned why they keep coming up but doctors do not seem to have any answers for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.