3 bartholin cyst and hopefully my last

Posted , 3 users are following.

i'm from the usa and surprisingly there's not many support websites or blogs about these pesky things here but anyways my first bartholin cyst was november 20 2014. i had the word catheter inserted and it fell out within a couple of days. my first one i didn't know as much about them as i do now so knowing what i know now i wish i would've went back and had it put back in. my second one came along july 2015 and i had another word catheter put in this one stayed in for a month and after that for twos years all was well. a few days ago i woke up with my third one. these things have really showed me how strong i can be. i immediately scheduled an appointment and they scheduled me for the marsupialization the next day. i went in with a good mindset knowing i was going to be put under so i wouldn't feel a thing. few minutes after they started to get me prepped the nurse said my pregnancy test came out positive so therefore since i was so early about 3 weeks they couldn't put me to sleep. i had to do the marsupialization being wide awake with localized numbing. the surgery was a success but since they could explore like they wanted too they couldn't remove the whole sac of the cyst. has anyone else been through this type of situation? i'm just scared since the sac of the cyst is still in there it'll come back and then ill have to do this all over again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

kmld2691 Congrats on your pregnancy! I feel your pain. I've been dealing with these awful things since 2009 and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I would usually get them every 2-3 years but just in the last 5 months it's come back 5 times! I had the Catheter done once and it fell out right away. Every other one I've just had drained, which is clearly not working. Two weeks ago I went to see a new doctor about marsuplization, which he did not recommend for me at this point. He said the next time it comes he would like to try the Catheter again. Well this weekend it came back so it looks like I'm going to have to have it done. How was your experience with the Catheter? How were you able to keep in so long? I just started a new job, which is a desk job, and I'm concerned about it falling out and having to take a lot of time off for this. Was it painful having it in for so long? Did you have the gland removed or a marsupilization? It was my understanding that with the marsupilization they just sew back the walls of the cyst to create a permanent drainage and that they don't remove anything. A friend of mine had it done and she said she didn't get another one for 10 years. However it did eventually come back and she had another marsupilization that was unsuccessful because her cyst had already ruptured. So next time it comes back she is going to have the gland removed.

• Posted

thank you! the first time i got one i had the word catheter put in and it was unsuccessful because it fell out in two days... the second time i had another word catheter put in that time it stayed in for a month. it was very uncomfortable. the cyst was getting smaller but i had this balloon catheter in me keeping it stretched out so that part is very uncomfortable. i had a desk job also. i sit for 10 hrs a day but i had to buy a donut pillow to relieve the pressure of sitting on it! the catheter did a good job the second time around because i didn't get this new one until about 2 years later and that's where i am now with my third one! it's been a couple of days since the marsupialization and i can say one thing it's so much more comfortable and better than getting the word catheter! my first two were so big and infected they weren't able to do the surgery one the first two but i got in early with this one! i know here in the united states they don't like to remove the gland. they'll try to marsupialization before that!

• Posted

I am in the U.S as well. It seems like every doctor I talk to has a different opinion. The GYN I was seeing immediately suggested taking out the glad, which scared me. It seems like that should be a last resort. My friend has been encouraging me to get the Marsuplization and referred me to her doctor and he is the one that suggested the catheter. He thought that marsuplization would be very painful for me and cause scaring. I have read a lot of horror stories about all the different options, so it's good to hear your surgery went well. I can't imagine dealing with this while being pregnant! Mine ended up rupturing over the weekend, but i'm sure it will be back. It's been coming every 2 months like clockwork. Was there any special trick to keeping the catheter in? It seems like just about anything would pull it out.

• Posted

i wish they would've done the marsuplization on the first or even the second one but mine were way too big and infected. luckliy i got in quick with this one! i recommmend the marsuplization especially since they keep reoccuring. their less likely to come back and the healing process is so much better. with keeping the catheter in its tricky. i think it has alot to do with who does it. the second time i had one of these things they put the end of the catheter inside of my vagina and it didnt come out. the first time the doctor didnt do that and it came right out! so i don't know if that made a difference or not. the marsuplization is the best way to go in my opinion! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.