3 days after thr . When will I be able to lift this leg on my own? I know its early days.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm using a dressing gown cord to lift leg onto bed, how long until I can lift it unaided??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. I had my THR 3.5 weeks ago and still can't lift my extended leg upwards. Before surgery it was the same issue, and I've been told that the issue is years of the muscles not being used and getting wasted. But both my surgeon and physiotherapist said it will come back with physio, so hopefully it'll be the same for you. Check with your physio.

Also remember that you're only 3 days in! You've just had your leg broken so it will be many weeks before you need to worry about getting complete strength back. Just focus on your post op exercises for now and worry about other things later. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying, I had my other done 5 years ago and can't remember anything about it! Glad to know its normal.

• Edited

I bought a leg lifter on Amazon for around $7. Luckily I only needed it for about three days. I now use it to do hamstring stretches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.