3 Days on Topiramate and I am DONE!!!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I went to the doctor exactly one week ago today because of a horrible migraine I had for two days straight, followed by numbing and tingling on the whole left side of my body and my arm and hand feeling limp. I have never experienced that before so I freaked out and thought it was a stroke. I went to a GP and they said my blood pressure was a little bit elevated and ran blood work for my liver and kidneys (which came back normal) and prescribed me 25mg of Topiramate to take once at bedtime for 3 days, then increase the dosage to 2 pills at night. I could hardly make it to day 3! I took it last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night and the side effects were HORRIBLE! I felt tired, fatigued, lethargic, unfocused, dizzy, had blood shot red eyes, heart racing, etc. Last Wednesday was my last day taking them as I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I had another headache Saturday and went to the ER and my blood pressure was high enough to where they asked if I take blood pressure medication! I've never had high blood pressure in my life other than when I was pregnant with my daughter 12 years ago and on Monday, so I was shocked! I am pretty healthy as I work out 4 days a week, eat pretty clean, drink green smoothies weekly, etc. I was worried about a stroke because of the numbing and tingling on the right side from Monday and my blood pressure being high, but the ER ruled out a stroke. They did a CT scan and that came out normal as well. For some reason I am STILL having the symptoms I had when taking the medication and I only took it for 3 DAYS! The doctor that I went to Monday did not explain anything about the side effects of the medication he just prescribed it and sent me on my way. And of course the ER doctor was even worse with rushing and saying everything looked fine and to follow up with a neurologist and that was it! Have any of you still experienced bad side effects long after stopping the medication? I only took it for 3 days so I am so confused on why I'm still feeling the way that I am. It is the worst! 😦

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.