3 days post-op......

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all!! I had a RTHR on Tuesday. They let me go home yesterday.. The surgeon told me that it went alright but that he had cracked my femur putting in my replacement. He said that I was much smaller than he thought and as he was drilling into the femur, it cracked. He said that he put a "clamp" like deal around it and that it should heal as the hip is healing... I am still taking a lot of my pain meds. He doesn't want me to do a lot until the 6 week mark but I'm still doing the exercises that I was shown in the hospital. I use a walker and my crutches (kind of like them both). Ice is still my best friend and as much as I like to be totally out of pain, the pain meds keep dropping my blood pressure, last blood pressure was 89/55, so trying to be cautious as I can't be up while those are in affect due to the dizziness and wanting to pass out. 

It is great to be at home. My mom is taking great care of me but feel like I'm a little girl who broke her leg lol I am so grateful to have her in my life!!!! 

Thank you hippies for all your wonderful posts and advice, you also have been a godsend!!! I will try to keep all updated on my progress!!! 

39 years/RTHR/April 25, 2017

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Hipstride, what a complete nuisance that the surgeon cracked your femur. Doesn't sound very careful. I'm really glad that you have your mum looking after you.

Take it steadily, all the best, Judith

• Posted

Dear Judith

I find it very concerning when I read bout surgeries where the femur has been cracked. What are these surgeons doing?

They should be checking with a test stem and if too tight drill or ream out a little bigger before gently tapping in the stem.

The only excuse is with fragile bones but surely this would be evident when cutting the femur which happens earlier.

Not impressed!

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.