3 days post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all.. Relaxing at home here three days after surgery. The surgery itself really was a breeze and the healing has been going pretty darn well considering. I went into the hospital at 1 p.m. on Thursday for my scheduled 3 p.m. surgery. I was crazy nervous but everything went well. Apparently became tachycardic the middle of surgery

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Must've accidentally posted this too soon! Left the hospital a few hours later and was home by 9 p.m. slept for what felt like forever. Haven't suffered from nausea too much except for this morning. The first day I pretty much had a clear liquid diet consisting of chicken soup broth water Gatorade and threw in a few crackers. Yesterday I threw in a few fruit gummies and a few raviolis that my boyfriend had cooked for himself and had vegetable beef soup for dinner. I have had a lot of stomach and intestinal gurgling but not a lot of bloating. The surgical incisions are fine and don't hurt a lot. I had a lot of trouble with gas pain in my shoulders and my neck and even gave me a headache. I never took the prescribed medication for fear of being constipated only 3 Advil every 6 hours and now all my pain is gone. I was honestly almost dying to have a bowel movement because it had been almost 3 days. I finally went this morning unfortunately it was a mixture of solid Brown with yellow liquid which I'm assuming is bile. I've gone twice more the same way today with the last one being smaller solid chunks. I do have a surgical drain which is annoying as hell and that should come out on Tuesday. Everything going as well as I suppose I can hope besides the diarrhea. It's only been 3 days I can only cross my fingers and hope that I'm still on the mend and this will get better. Has anyone else experienced only temporary diarrhea after surgery?

• Posted

It's normal to fluctuate between feelilng great and feeling sickish for a while smile Hope you continue to improve !

• Posted

Take it easy you might feel good compared to how you felt before but any overdoing it and you feel lousy pretty quickly.

As for diarrhoea... Just after surgery it's quite a shock When it happens and it's just your body adjusting. Use the time to work out what triggers your diarrhoea. I'm a year post surgery now and found that I get diarrhoea only if I don't eat! I have a hectic life and might skip a meal or two and I guess the bile builds up and as a result..... stomach craps and running to the toilet. Not often but not fun when it happens.

So just relearn your body and you'll be fine!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I guess I was just hoping that I'd bounce back as fast as everyone else I knew. I didn't want to think I was one of the horror stories from online. I eat some baked chicken and mashed potatoes last night which I was happy about because I actually had an appetite for it which hasn't been the case for a long time. But shortly after I ate it I had a horrible sour stomach so I guess there are still some ups and downs. I had another bowel movement this morning and it was solid, smaller in diameter but better and consistency and color. I'm hoping that once I get this drain out I can get back to a more normal life and it might help out. Just a little down at the moment

• Posted

It helped me to avoid fat if possible and eat smaller meals, more often. If I sit down to a big meal 3x a day, my bowels get overloaded or something~ It will take a while to get used to the new levels of bile in your system smile Take it easy for a while longer. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Its hard to eat when im nauseous sad just need to give it time i guess

• Posted

I totally understand about the nausea...I had a bitter/metallic taste in my mouth for about 3.5 weeks after surgery sad Everything tasted horrible and I was sick to my stomach much of the time. I asked the doctor if there was anything I could do to remedy that and he gave me anti-nausea meds. I used Reglan and also Zofran. It helped me get by. Still don't have an appetite, but it's much better now (my surgery was the 21st of Sept.).

• Posted

Im glad its better for you.. That gives me hope!
  • Posted

HEY! GLAD YOUR DOIN OK! Had mine out on Oct 11th. First 3 days I was sore but didn’t use pain pills.. I literally took NOTHING.. Maybe I took 2 Advil.. I forget.. May as well east on the toilet cause for the first 8-9 days it was eat and RUN! ..  Been better last few days.. I’ve eaten fat and lasted over an hour without running.. Only thing Ive noticed is sensitivity around the belly area where the bandage was..  It feels like a BAD SUN BURN.. Anyone else have this?? I’m thinking reaction to the bandage.. But in the other areas there is no issues.. Same bandages..  Just the one by belly button. Can’t even wear a shirt without wrapping it with ace bandage. Just light touch feels like skin is being ripped off
    • Posted

I'm glad that there might be hope for the diarrhea. I only usually have to go in the morning a few times and then I'm good for the day. The most annoying thing for me right now is the nausea. I've taken one of my bandages off and it's a little sore but not bad. The rest of them come off today hopefully when I get my drain removed. Right now I feel like this was a horrible decision. I hope it only gets better from here.

• Posted

I had the drain removed today. I already feel a hundred times better in a sense. I finally feel like I can move around without the fear of hurting myself. I know I still need to take it easy. The nausea seemingly has been kept at bay today. Hopefully this is only temporary!
    • Posted

Glad you're feeling a little better! I wanted to ask you, did you have nausea before the surgery or did it just kick in after you had the surgery? I ask because I already have nausea every day due to an underactive gallbladder and I'm scheduled for surgery but I'm worried reading all these stories that the nausea will get worse after surgery. Thanks!

• Posted

I had nausea almost every morning upon waking. I would immediately go and brush my teeth and it went away for the most part but made me lose my appetite for most of the day. I didnt become nauseous only after eating fatty fooda like a lot of people.
    • Posted

I feel even better today!! I didn't wake up nauseous - just a little nervous about going back to work today. I had a more solid BM with no excess bile. I hope I'm on the up and up now!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.