3 days post-op rectocele, cystocele and SSP - useful tips I hope!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All. I posted a while back and have just got home from op! I had to stay in 2 extra days/nights partly as I wasn't emptying bladder well but also because tramadol (which they gave as I didn't want co-codamol or codeine as know it makes me constipated) which I think was what made me horribly nauseous! Was badly sick and couldnt eat a thing. Apart from that things seem ok. I'm still catheterised which is a pain but it's a 'flip and flow' short tube rather a leg bag or carry bag. Soooo much better. I've also got a long catheter and stand for nights if i want so will see how it goes. First poo (day 2) was a bit painful even though had been drinking prune juice and eating lots of veg before op. Also I had not been able to eat fibre or otherwise as so sick but did drink lots of water. I'm home now so I will drink prune juice and take stool softener and hope for an easier time! I'm vegetarian too so that should help. I have a couple of good books by an aussi & US physios. Not to hand atm but will post later. Glad I opted for no hysterectomy i was advised to as I had fibroids and on hrt which can make them grow so have come off hrt and hope I can bear the flushes! Oh yes - i wasnt told when I said I wanted a cancellation that I had to come off hrt 6 weeks before op! Very happy with Taunton hospital - they got my a date 10 days after I'd been off it for 6 weeks and ward staf were all very good for my visit 😊

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear you are home. I found it all much easier than I expected although I had lots of help at home and haven't gone back to work yet.  I am 8 weeks and the time has just flown by, back to work next week unfortunately.

Don't expect your stitches to go very quickly, I've still got mine! Take it easy & accept all offers of help. You can't re-start your pelvic floor exercises until you have the catheter removed so check with nurse/physio at that time.  Wishing you well. X 

• Posted

Thanks for that - gynae team told me ok to start pfe's straight away!there's so much inconsistent info 😕. I've been given 8 weeks too and then phased return ' thank heavens I get full sick pay! There must be women who can't afford to take recommended time off. I'm single so always been very used to being in dependant but will just have to suckeep it up lol. My 26 year old son lives at home so he'll be here overnight and friends have offered help during day so I'm very lucky . Hope you continue to do well 😊

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I’m glad you are home and feeling better. I have a rectocele and cystocele. I was told my uterus is still in tact. I am waiting to see a gynecologist on January 12 to figure out what to do. I have a bulge in my vagina and my bottom feels like it’s got something pulling inside of it. Painful at times. You said, you didn’t have your uterus removed. I trying to decide if I want mine taken out at the same time as he fixes the other two things. I’m 55 and have already went through the change or am still going through it. Ugh! I am wondering why you kept your uterus, if you don’t mind saying??? Hugs!
    • Posted

She probably kept it as it should only ever be removed if it's causing major problems. If it isn't, then leave it there. You can get a whole new raft of problems from its removal that you didn't have before. If there is no choice about removing it, then it has to go, but should not be removed just because you happen to be having other major surgery in the vicinity. 

• Posted

Hugs much appreciated! Very tired today -pain ok - mostly in tailbone area 😕. Look at Imnotadoctors reply. As I understand it the uterus is 'held up' inside so if you remove it it creates a space and gives things the chance to fall down/prolapse more. My gynae surgoon had only suggested hysterectomy because I had fibroids and was on hrt. This meant the fibroids would continue to grow and need hysterectomy in future. I've decided to come off hrt so no need to do a hysterectomy as fibroids should now shrink. Just have to put up with the hair loss and hot flushes! 😁

• Posted

Getting my post and anterior repair on 22nd Jan. Been very nervous due to these forums, so glad to see a positive post. Will be buying prune juice! Also veggi which helped my sluggish digestion years back, my body did not like meat. My main concern at present is to not catch flu, which is rife in my area, near Dumfries, Scotland. Where are others based? 

P.s. I find daily porridge with prunes and other fruits keeps me regular. 😊

• Posted

HI Laurie . I'm in Somerset. Remember that people often only give feedback if there are problems - there must be lots of success stories out there! I had a flu jab for the first time ever so there was no risk of catching it and luckily managed not to get cough/cold! Still no real pain from lady bits but my chronic back pain is starting to kick in as tramadol etc wears off. Some pain spasms in rectum before I pooh. Tbh I think after so long having to splint I've forgotten how to pooh! Eg. When does a normal 'push' become a 'strain?!' It still doesn't feel like I've 'finished' when I go but hopefully it'll sort itself out - early days. I got books by michelle kenway(+ pelvic floor safe exercise dvd) and sherrie palm before op - pricey but both give lots of useful advice as do their websites (not sure we're allowed to name names here). I think there's a facebook group but wary about joining as don't know how to set my privacy so friends cant see I've joined/post to group. I'm always up for promoting the cause but thats a bit too 'hey everyone - I've got problems with my Lady-bits!). Are you having a sacrospinous fixation too? I had to as menopausal (57) so everything's falling lol. I only felt the buttock pain associated with that for a few hours after op. Everyone is different though - my advice would be ' be prepared for the worst but hope for the best'! Ask away if anything else and keep in touch X

• Posted

Whew, good to see a positive post! I did think it may be the case, folk post hen not good only. How long post op are you? 

I hear you re straining, been so long since I’ve poo’d normally! ☺️ Thanks. 

• Posted

Not getting a sacro Lizzie, I’m also post (I think) meno. I though about flu jab but I react so strongly I any meds, alcohol, etc. I eat mainly my own organic food and l a very clean life, so trying to be as natural as possible. Growin season post op, so I’m bringing all my compost and seed trays into the house so I can do a little potterin in recovery. 

I’m doing vigorous exercise to be as fit as poss pre op. I’m a yoga teacher, so praying to be back ASAP. My yogis will have withdrawal!! ☺️

• Posted

Hi Laurie. I'm only 1 week post op! Sounds like you have a good healthy lifestyle and if you do yoga your core strength will be good. Ive been told there are some things that women should never ever do again though after pelvic floor surgery - anything that loads the pelvic floor eg wide leg (sumo) squats, deep lunges so please check these out. Desperate as I'll be to get back to gym , I'm aiming for the conservative return to exercise (ie not just walking) at 12 weeks. I will probably be size of a house and my back seized up by then but I want want to minimise my chance of having to have repeat surgery x

• Posted

One week, that’s encouraging! Mmm, hadn’t thought about squatting, lunging after, something I do quite a bit of, will need to be careful then. Yes, I’m a bit concerned about weight, so trying to lose a little just now. Thanks for you tips, looking forward to your updates. Have you walked or stood much yet? 
    • Posted

First little accompanied walk to the postbox and back this afternoon! Maybe 5 minutes ...v..e. .r..y slowly! Amazed at how tired it made me feel! I think I'd have been walking outside sooner if I'd just been in overnight as planned but the tramadol knocked me for 6. Am trying a trick I read to soothe lady bits as am more aware of pain there today. Open up a preemie nappy and put ice cubes inside and seal using the tabs. Fits inside your knickers , acts like a san pad helps soothe and heal is theory....I'll let you know! Lie rather than sit on it tho!! I also saw on fb today better trick of soaking San pads with aloe vera , rolling up and putting in freezer! Was for new mum's but would help any sore/swollen lady bits I imagine! It's just a bit awkward with the catheter...😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.