3 hard masses posterior& inferior to left ear (suspected post auricular and mastoid lymph nodes)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been experiencing general neck tightness, predominantly on the left side of my neck for months. I thought it was due to straining my voice teaching or playing basketball and soccer regularly. However, two days ago, I noticed 3 small, hard masses in my neck, just behind and below my left ear. I'd estimate that the largest is near 1 cm and the other two are closer to 5 mm. They're easily palpable when my head is facing forward, and even more so when I turn my head to the right. They are tender and cause general aching in the left side of my neck. They are quite hard and not very moveable. I don't have a fever or other clear signs of viral or bacterial infection that I would expect to have with swollen lymph nodes and I have not noticed any other swollen lymph nodes anywhere else on my body.

I'm 27 and otherwise healthy, so I don't have reason to suspect malignancy, but some initial research has indicated that "stony" or very hardened lymph nodes can be indicators of metastasis. I plan to see my doctor later this week if the size and consistency of the masses does not improve. My mom is a nurse practitioner and has recommended I ask for an ultrasound to try and differentiate whether the nodes appear to be responding to an infection or whether it could be something more serious. I'm interested in any advice folks have to offer on previous experience with hardened lymph nodes, or advice from health care providers on questions to ask or screens to request. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.