3 in 2 days & don’t feel they’ve gone......terrified

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello anybody

i ve had aura s for nearly 40 years, normally im fine and just deal with it, but yesterday i had one, sat down & was calm for an hour, but today i was at work & had one, then another!

i worked through them but after the zig zag lines have gone i still think theres a bit left that isnt clearing.

My anxiety is going through the roof at minute,

It would be great to speak to anyone whos had similar exsperience

sitting here scared stiff!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm a migraine sufferer myself and i know that they can be very painful and make u feel nauseous, I've never had an aura so I'm pretty lucky on that side of things, do u take any migraine preventative medication to lower the frequency of ur migraine attacks and to prevent any migraine attacks from happening.

• Posted

hi dawn

thanks for reply

i dont take anything, i didnt there was anything you could take?

ive lived with it my whole life

after the aura i get a little little headache

• Posted

Hi, yes there is a range of medication that u can take, there's Amitriptyline that u can take on a night time, theres also gabapentin that u can take 3 times a day or theres pregabalin which is one that u take 3 times a day and once they are in ur system, they will prevent 90-98% of ur migraines, i take the pregabalin as my preventative medication and when i do get a migraine, i take two 300mg of dispersible aspirin in a mouthful of water and within 20 minutes my migraine starts to go away, lying in a dark room will also help u.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

I had that experience last April, I had a left sided aura at 10.30pm one night which was followed by another left sided aura then a third at midnight also on the left then woke at 6.10 am to see yet another left sided aura. That made 4 in 8 hours!

Never had quite so many in that space of time since then thankfully. I think once your brain is in full migraine mode one aura can trigger another like a chain reaction. It will settle down, I went 11 days migraine free after that episode.

• Posted

hi anne

thanks for reply

its only ever happened once before where ive had 1 after the other,

ive had 5 this month, 3 in 2 days

what do you think your triggers are?

do you get them regular?

• Posted

Well at the moment it's probably mostly hormonal as I'm in perimenopause and that seems to be a pattern in my family, but I started to get the double migraine auras (both hemispheres going into migraine aura on the same day) the day after my Dad's funeral in 2016 so stress is certainly a factor. There also seems to be a seasonal pollen connection as my quietest months are October, November and December when I go down to 3 or 4 a month before tree pollen in January kick starts it off again.

• Posted

Hi Rob, I had my first migraine aura 8 months ago (44F) and it terrified me. I had never heard of an aura before, so when it was occurring, I had no idea what was happening to me. I had a second one three days later and a third two days after the second. Then, I was diagnosed with persistent migraine status as my vision has been permanently affected (24/7 visual disturbances. I am constantly worried about having another one. I now suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, which I didn't previously have before this happened. I understand your fear and you are not alone.

• Posted

hi staci

do you have any triggers?

how long do the auras last?

do you get a headache afterwards?

my anxiety has gone crazy high this last 6 months

i can normally deal with it but really struggling at minute

thanks for reply

i hope you get relief soon

• Posted

Hi Rob,

They lasted about 30 minutes. I did not get a headache afterwards. I swear I have PTSD from having them. It has completely changed my life. You have been having them for 40 years??? How often?

• Posted

hi staci

sorry late reply, i use to get them alot as a teenager then in my twenties i carnt remember having one at all & then i became a parent & started having them agsin, it was about 2-3 a year, i had a really tough time through berevement a few years ago & the doc put me on citalopram which is an AD. I came off them last year & since my auras having been going crazy.

I had my first aura in junior school about 8 yesrs old.

I know one of my triggers is when i get excited

• Posted

Wow! 8 years old?!?! You must have been terrified. Did you know what was happening to you? It is a shame that anyone has to suffer through this strange and unusual condition. What has your doctor said about the increase in frequency of your migraines?

• Posted

hi staci

The first time it happened i was tsken to hospital snd had loads of checks done & tests, my parents must of been terrifed!

i can remember being excited about christmas or going out somewhere & it happening.

my doctor has said keep a note, i keep a diary of when i have an aura, its really difficult to pin it down to one thing

how many auras are you getting staci?

is there a pattern, in the morning or late at night?

are there particular foods that might be a trigger?

• Posted

Hi Rob

I used to get back to back migraine with aura and I know what you mean about not clearing. Mine were definitely much worse during stressful and tired times. I am 50 now and have very few migraine at all. I am also in a much less stressful job and take much better care of myself generally. I have also taken Propanalol for many years which I think really helps. I am guessing you are a similar age as you mention 40 years of migraine. Are you having a particularly stressful time at the moment? Do you take any medication? You mention anxiety and I think, in my case anyway, that this causes a vicious cycle. You have migraine which causes anxiety and then this creates further migraine. Final question! Do you have pain after aura? You said that you were at work and worked through them. I guess this wouldn't be possible if you were in agony. Not sure I have helped but maybe just knowing it's not that unusual will reduce some anxiety. I also find talking to other men helps as we are definitely in the minority for migraine and particularly aura type.

• Posted

hi cheekysp

i am a 48 yr pld male

I wax taking citalopram for 5 years & decided to reduce my dose snd come off them in august of 2018, since coming off them ive noticed whenni get stressed when i blink i see the outline of a potentional aura, i was fine for a long time and decided to come off citalopram, i was fine then had a really big family problem that just rocked me!!!!

ive had a crazy couole of years after berevement also but whilst i was on the med i had hardly 2-3 a yesr if that,

now im had 6-7 this year so far

i get no pain with it only a very little headache

with gojng back on the meds, my anxiety is up & down so having to deal with that also

• Posted

Hi Rob

YES! I can relate to this. stress is a big factor with migraines i get the zigzags too.

I have suffered since i was a young child. Both of my parents suffered.

I dint know about you, but certain foods trigger mine. I cannot eat chocolate that's a definite! There are certain foods I do stay clear of.

Sleep is important even me i stay up far too late. That can trigger them.

If you suffer alot then think about going to an actual migraine clinic, where they look at your diet, And what type of migraine you experience.

Hope this helps you

Kind Regards

Elizabeth

• Posted

hi elizabeth

how do your eyes feel after?

what kind of foods trigger them, im trying to be mindful & look after myself but im still getting them

stress, anxiety & excitment are a defo trigger for me

Are you or has the doctor given you any medication for it elizabeth?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.