3 month post PKR check up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my check up with consultant yesterday. Had PKR on right knee. Wouldn't do total as I'm only 46. Told it will need a total in time as the back of the knee is wearing out. I have been having terrible hip and groin pain which is affecting the knee. I do have the start of osteoarthritis in right hip.

He didn't want to x-ray the hip (last x-rayed 2 years ago) He said he could inject the hip to help with pain relief.

He looked at the photos of my left knee which he scoped in 2014. Said it was going the same way as the right and would need a PKR. Can't face that yet

I honestly thought at 3 months I worked be able to walk further than I can. Bend is good but not fully straight yet. Walking is still very uncomfortable. I go to Disney world in 3 months so I really need to be able to walking better

Felt very down about it all today and quite tearful. 😢

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Devs

I'm 48 had a TKR in January , spent 10 weeks with a straight leg unable to bend it, I had a manipulation 3 weeks ago, it was like going back to the beginning with pain. I'm like you with walking , I find it uncomfortable and have a slight limp, I'm still not driving as I find getting in and out of the car painful. It's definitely been an emotional rollercoaster, had more down days than up. I know how your feelimg. This forum is great for letting it all out. 😁 Disney world is something to aim for , xx

• Posted

I feel the same way. Can passively reach extension to 0° but that doesn’t help with walking. Every step hurts. It’s not excruciating, but it makes me not want to walk far.  We’ll get better but, wow, this is a long, painful journey. I’m sorry you’re going through it so young 🙁 Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Debs.

I am sorry you are sad today. This happens as our expectations are not met in the majority of cases.

But, don't despair it does get better with time. I had my first PKR last June and went on vacation to New York and Canada in September where my Fitbit said I walked 102 miles in the month. Not all without pain and sometimes needing a stick but certainly better than before the op where osteoarthritis meant bone on bone hell. My second knee was done 7 weeks ago and yes it is just as awful and I too am depressed. This time I don't have blind optimism to help me through so it's harder. But, even in pain I can see it is ever so slightly better than the awful pain prior to the replacement when I couldn't walk at all.

It looks like we are not making headway but looking back you can see that we are. It's not a straight line recovery but lots and lots of peaks and troughs. So glad you have a goal in Disney. In three more months you will be on top form compared to now. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Debs 

I think we “ expect “and that gets us in trouble . It is such long road . At 3 months I was pretty good but overdoing it got me in trouble . You have 3more months till your trip .

Worse case scenario you use a scooter . 

Don’t be discouraged because tomorrow the sun will shine and today is behind you smile

Debbie xx

• Posted

I should have read your post before I posted.....pretty similar..we're about the same length post op.....struggling with walking any distance...I think keep doing your exercises and you will continue to improve...it's a long rd eh??

• Posted

It sure is. Went shopping today and thought my knee geeks quite good. 10 minutes later or was really painful and I had to give up. Got home feeling very fed up. Just want to be able to walk more than I can. Still really painful now 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.