3 months baby not interested to eat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have new born daughter borned on 01/01/2016. Since last 40 days she is not eating well (breast feeding). when ever her mom feed her she starts crying and refusing to eat. after several attempts she is eating but after crying. we checked with 2 pediatrician and both said she is fine as she is giving 5-6 wet diapers/day and her weight and height is increasing. we are giving her Zantec as one of doctor said she might have acid reflux. we are worried that why she is not crying for hunger but crying when she offer her milk. her mom seems fine and having no helath problem. can you please let us know what should be a reason that she is not interested to eat?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My eldest was exactly the same. We never found out what it was. They suggested colic, reflux, milk protein intolerance, gas...Eventually we were just asked to stop breastfeeding her and switched her to sensitive stomach formula, then anti colic milk, then anti reflux milk and finally she settled once she started solids. She was also suffering from 2 to 3 months old. She calmed down a lot once we stopped breastfeeding and took the sensitive formulas. One doctor suggested she was having trouble with my milk protein and consistency. It was summer and my milk was very thin and came out in rapid bursts. Not sure what to believe. In contrast, my youngest was breastfed for 14 months until she weaned herself off. No issues whatsoever. I was very tense when I had my first and much more relaxed with my second. Not sure if that played a role. The first was a regular birth and second a c-section. Giving you info in case it helps you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your response. In my case even when her mom hold her for breast feeding , she start crying immediately even without sucking her nipple. some time she starts crying when she hold and after playing music and shaking her, she calm down and start eating for 10-15 minutes. so she is hungry but not interested to eat or don't understand that she has to eat for hunger. very fraustrating. we didn't try any formula yet. what you suggest for her? any good formula or express milk in bottle?
    • Posted

My eldest was also crying the moment i would pick her up to feed too. I was sure she did not like me at all smile Sometimes she would take the breast easily and then after just 2 minutes start tensing and crying and turning away. Milk was there i could see but she did not want it. What can I say....Maybe she is just not comfortable. Maybe try using a pillow underneath her and make sure she is not too warm or cold or something. Maybe she is just a tense baby. Anything to calm her down a little as you are already doing will help. Maybe some scent bothers her - if mom uses perfume, deodorant or scented body lotions perhaps try without. I have tried all those and as I said...we never made it and she calmed down once we started formula. It doesn't mean that was the right thing or that you should do the same...I have no recommendations with regards to the feeding choices. You will have to trust your instincts and whatever your doctor advises. Since she is still gaining good weight and growing you have some time to figure it out. In 10-15 minutes that she does nurse once she latches on...she is old enough to get all the milk out. So it is just a matter of relaxing and waiting for her to take food. To comfort you...soon this will all pass and sort itself out. All the best to the three of you!
    • Posted

Thank you very much for lot of information. I hope she would be ok with by time. Have a great day !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.