3 months gluten free blood tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

So happy been gluten free for 3 months and have had my first perfect blood test in a year. Iron ferritin gone from 10 to 36 folic acid back to normal and raised liver enzymes back to perfect. Its crazy what gluten can.do to you. Doctor wants to leave it 6 months before doing another celiac blood test as it can take a while to come down and didnt want to discourage me if it hadnt improved much since my initial diagnosis but all the other bloods have significantly improved so im heading in the right direction.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, 

While I'm at the start of it all, I can relate to the raised liver levels (and high inflammatory levels) although my doctor brushed off coeliac since it came back negative in the blood test - which is quite common to present a false negative anyway, little does she know. Going to be organising a biopsy to confirm but with 99% of the symptoms, it's very likely that's what it is. Last year I'd had full blood count done and liver and inflammation was fine - while I was on a gluten free diet! 

What you're referring to with the blood testing, is this to test to see that the coeliac screen comes back negative? Is it a monitoring process? Just a curiosity because obviously once a coeliac always a coeliac.

Either way, congratulations on things improving. It's a tough change in diet but that relief of many symptoms is an absolute blessing. I wish you the best for further improvements.

• Posted

It is a monitoring process with an aim that the blood test will eventually show negative due to no gluten in my system. I was diagnosed by biopsies and then backed up with a very strong positive blood test. I believe endoscopy and biopsy is the best way
  • Posted

Hi

What is a celiac blood test? Why do your liver levels rise? Sorry I'm new here and trying to figure out what's going in with me.

My stool sample came back high. Its 90. I've been having chronic diarrhoea for a couple of months. They said ibs so wouldn't give me tests. I also pass light coloured stools too. I'm waiting to hear from my GP about the stoll test. Only got the results yesterday and need to have a phone consultation with GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.