3 months of unexplained chest pain!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was hoping for some help of you wonderful lot coz I’m going out of my mind with worry! This all started around 3 months ago with left sided chest pain just out of the blue that radiated down my arm I was worried over this and went straight to A&E I was expecting to be out of there after a couple of hours and it seemed they weren’t too concerned and were ready to discharge me that was until the blood tests came back! Then everything was panick stations and I wasn’t prepared for the terror that came next the blood tests were back and my troponin level (enzymes for the heart) was raised at 30 they told me I’d likely had a heart attack as the results shouldn’t be more than 14 and admitted me to hospital, I was histerical how could this be? I’m only 33 I cried I screamed but I’ve ive got 3 young children my whole world came crashing down how would they cope without there mum all these horrible thoughts were racing through my mind, so in hospital on the ward I was given medication for a heart attack and awaited a cardiologist they said it was unlikely I’d had a heart attack but due to me been a smoker (now an x smoker) and overweight that my risks were higher so the only way to tell 100% was to do a coronary angiogram which again I was terrified about as it carries some harsh risks but I didn’t have a choice I was shaking and crying as they took me to theatre but I’d spent a week in hospital thinking I’d had a heart attack so nothing much could beat that, so they proceeded with the coronary angiogram and thank god it came back clear my arteries were clear and there was no damage so no heart attack! So they sent me home and said everything was fine but for finalisation scheduled me for a mri scan of the heart so there I am worrying and wondering for yet another 5 weeks whilst I await the scan they said they were doing the scan as a precaution just to check for possible pericarditis or myocarditis as heart attack had been ruled out! So finally I had my mri scan and everything had come back completely normal again thank god so by now I’ve had the gold standard in heart tests a coronary angiogram an echocardiogram and an mri scan which all came back normal, and discharged fast forward 3 months and I’m still suffering with left sided chest pain sometimes radiating into my arm so I see a private cardiologist who has said to me that I’ve had the best possible tests that they have to offer so he aswell as the other doctors including countless gp visits have all said it’s definitely 100% not my heart! I should be glad I know but I’m still a complete wreck so anxious and so very depressed over all this I’ve been through just about every emotion there is and I honestly don’t think I have any tears left to cry! What is causing this chest pain if it’s not cardiac? It’s there nearly all the time lingering it doesn’t seem to be made worse on extertion but I am overweight and very unfit so I need to address this urgently, I’ve had many docs tell me it’s all anxiety then a couple say it could be Costochondritis but I really don’t think so I should mention I do also suffer joint pains/beem told it’s fibromyalgia especially at night when sleeping and I also have Gerd and acid quite bad, and regurgitating whilst lying down which I’m waiting on an endoscopy to see what’s going on but I am on Omeprazole for this but dosnt seem to be doing much oh and of course severe anxiety and depression because of all this could this be stomach related? And can I safely say this isn’t my heart  my docs are so fed up of me but I need some answers I can’t live like this, Anyone out there with similar issues or anyone that can offer some advice would by highly appreciated, thanks so much for reading.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What type of chest pain is it? Is it affecting your breathing?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! It’s like a lingering sharp pain on the left side and occasional breathing issues but only rarely. 
    • Posted

No the chest pain doesn’t go through to the back but I do suffer with some upper back pain along with other joint pain not sure if it’s related, thanks. 
    • Posted

It could be but my chest doesn’t sound too bad apart from a small wheeze and I’ve had a spiromatory done and that was fine but I am awaiting an appointment with a lung doctor just incase
    • Posted

Well it is good you are seeing a lung doctor, just to be on the safe side ask about a D-dimer blood test for clots, you will probably be clear but it is a small possibility as you smoke. I have multiple pulmonary emboli and the pain was over my chest going into my armpit and I would get pins and needles in my hands. Yours sounds a bit different but it can’t hurt having a test because the quicker you catch it the faster you recover.
    • Posted

Oh no really😔I’m sorry to hear that but hope your recovering well, that’s the thing with having chest pain you just don’t know what’s causing it it’s just so frustrating and upsetting knowing something is going on but don’t know what! this has been the most awful time of my life, I’ll go and see the lung doctor and I’m also waiting for an endoscopy so will see if that brings anything up as sometimes stomach problems can cause chest pain but I just don’t know, I’m just so sick and tired of this all I do is worry constantly😔but thanks very much for your input it’s very much appreciated x

• Posted

That’s ok. Would you mind keeping me updated as to what happens? I would be interested to find out. Good luck I hope everything gets sorted out for you.
    • Posted

Thanks very much, and of course I would love to keep you updated, as Soon as I get any answers I’ll be right back with you, thanks😊

• Posted

You sound exactly like me except the hospitalization part. left chest pain right under the ribs and in the middle of the chest. heart burn with regurgitation.

its all anxiety related.

Anxiety is is BEAST!!!

It will manifest in the craziest places at the craziest times making us feel as if we're going to die or go crazy. pray honey and educate yourself on anxiety??

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply makes me feel so much better that I’m not alone but also so very sad for you that your going through this horrible thing aswell😔I really hope you recover soon hun, yes docs have also said anxiety many times but I’m afraid I’m just been fobbed off and it’s something more serious! Do u have pain radiating down your arm atall? X

• Posted

Hi, really feel for you it's a nightmare, sounds very similar to me earlier this year I was off work for months couldn't even mop the hospital floor it was to much, I had terrifying panic attacks and pains everywhere, had loads of tests and xray all normalsmile thank god. ANXIETY🙄 omg it's evil, was given antidepressants but stupid me never took them, fast forward, new job, less work and really takin g care of me I feel 80% better, still have aches and pains but with heat therapy and stretches they under control, I was obsessed with Google and convinced myself I had some horrible disease, now I don't look, I know the medical profession c**k up but really with all the tests I'm sure you be OK. Really try to look after you, I've learnt my lesson to listen to my body and take care, stress and anxiety are nasty b*****s, good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Diane how Lovely of you to comment and try and help😊honestly means so much thankyou! Your right with everything you say i definitely do need to take better care of myself 100% and what you say about anxiety I went to a chest doctor today and as soon as he met me he knew anxiety is a massive factor of what’s going on with me and I know I do have anxiety but I’m afraid they’ve missed something, he says I’m fine and the heart tests I’ve had are gold standard they would have spotted something if it was there he thinks the chest pain is Costochondritis but I’m not sure arrrrgh It doesn’t matter how many times I hear it I’m still convinced something is horribley wrong😔it’s exhausting and soul destroying it really is and until I try and get over it it’ll still be there lingering, honestly though thank you so much for your help means a lot xx

• Posted

That doesn’t sound correct. Have you heard of pleurisy? I think what you have sounds more lung related. Pain radiating down your arm is not going to come from inflammation around your sternum. Costochondritis is what they always tell you when they have no idea what is causing your chest pain. As well as anxiety and acid reflux! If you are not happy with the diagnosis, ask for a chest CT with contrast. You know your body and if something is wrong and I think it is always best to trust your instincts, I would be dead if I had believed all the rubbish the doctors told me.
    • Posted

I thought he was very dismissive to be honest I really didn’t believe it’s Costochondritis to be honest but it is sore to touch unless that’s unrelated and I’ve had a normal lung function several normal x rays and he’s going to get a radiologist to check the mri scan I had of my heart coz that has contrast and also shows the chest and lungs I did ask for a ct but he said I’ve already had an mri and I said no that was of the heart and he said he’d looked at it and it was showing the lungs and chest wall but he can’t interpret it it needs to be a radiologist, arrrrgh I really don’t know what to do it’s dreadful.
    • Posted

Hi I have some answers to my chest pain finally turns out after an endoscopy that I have a hiatus hernia and gastritis causing the chest pain 
    • Posted

That is good you finally have a diagnosis. Are you feeling a bit better now? 
    • Posted

Thanks a lot yes so much better Like a massive weight has been lifted I can’t tell you the relief😊thanks for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.