3 months on citalopram - still getting intrusive thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on citalopram for almost 4 months now. My intrusive thoughts seemed to settle for a while and i noticed then going away bit by bit. But last week/ now.. i just feel them again like how i was before i started citalopram. Any success on intrusive thoughts? im really struggling today..

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

What sort of thoughts are you having Sharon? Ive only been on these for 2 months but still have irrational thoughts regarding my health

• Posted

Hi graham,

just mostly centered around harming myself. it makes me cry so much because i dont understand where it came from but it subsided over the months but i guess im going through a blip

• Edited

Oh right sorry to hear that, completly different to mine then as mine are more thinking every little freckle, mole or skin blemish is something serious etc

Hope you start to feel better soon

• Posted

These meds make us think crazy in every way x Surround yourself with people you love x I'm sorry you have these thoughts x please don't harm yourself x it does get much better x these meds work very slow x i too was in a really dark place a year and half ago x i hope tou the best x everyone on this forum will guide you through this x we all help each other

• Posted

Thanks so much Dubry x

The thoughts seem to have reduced but I dont even want to harm myself and I feel sad and tired when I get those thoughts because I have never been a person with depression or thoughts related to that. It just came and plagued me and the anxiety became worse which was why I started Citalopram x. How have the thoughts been for you and have you recovered? x

• Posted

I an still recovering x i am not gon rush it x these meds work very slow and i underdtand that x hang in there and dtay the course x you will come out the other side and ( be normal again) x i am in a better place now than i have been in 20 years, thanks to the meds x i do hope to someday recover and taper off but like i said, no rush x you can soon understand anxiety and push it aside x when that happens, you are well on uour way x be gentle to your mind and try not to stress x

I am currently taking 10mg x started at 20 x too much so i tapered to 10 x much better for me

• Posted

Hi Dubry,

How long have you been on citalopram and have the thoughts subsided? My thoughts have subsided and faded. I guess I was going through a bad blip. I found that reading and just resting makes things much better x im currently on 10mg which is so much better than 20mg my doctor put me on before x

• Posted

I have taken cit since August 2018 x yes the thoughts are gone x i only experienced them for a couple days x i still have blips x more rare as time passes though x glad you are feeling better x crazy how our minds play tricks on us x learning to cope and understand anxiety is half the battle imo x i have found that walking on the treadmill helped me cope numerous times x i am now very active in weightlifting and still run on treadmill 4-5 days a week x

• Edited

I'm happy for you that you've come this far x. Yes you are right, understanding everything takes the fear away because it is all due to anxiety. I don't currently exercise now, although i honestly should lool 😄 x. i have read some books but never finished it, will start on them again. Thanks again Dubry xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon just out of interest have you tried any other meds for the thoughts. I've got them due to zopiclone withdrawal. Tried citalopram & sertraline which actually made things worse and created more thoughts. Made an appointment with a psychiatrist see if he can come up with anything that actually helps. Tried CBT but was only on the NHS and was useless, think it does depend a lot on how good the therapist is. Hope you soon get some refief. Does seem lot of trial and error involved

• Edited

Hi Lemanna x

Citalopram actually does help me with the thoughts. I was going through a blip due to hormonal change from my period. It has really helped me improve so far. I dont want to switch meds because in about 5-6 months if i have recovered, I will taper off x..

For the thoughts, the best thing to do is to just accept it.. i seemed to be used to 'head chatter' a lot which would keep me in the fear cycle.. it makes me cry and worry so much. So stopping that is hard..

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.