3 months post op from Hernia Repair...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last October, I ended up in the emergency room with horrible abdominal pain.  I ended up having appendicitis and gallstones.  They performed emergency surgery and removed my appendix and gallbladder.  I spent one night in the hospital.

In January, I started having discomfort and noticed a bulge to the side of the largest incision from my surgery.  By early February, it had grown and was painful.  My surgeon sent me for a CT and I was diagnosed with ventral incisional hernia.

I had a laparoscopy hernia repair with mesh at the end of February.  It was the most painful thing I’ve ever endured.  I’ve had two c-sections, been in a head on collision at 60 MPH, been tased and pepper sprayed (former LEO), and a foot surgery and I would rather have gone through all of them the same day then ever have to go through hernia surgery again!

The pain meds after did not work for me, so I literally felt everything for the first 48 hours.  Immediately after surgery, it took almost 3 hours for them to find something to take the edge off for my husband to even be allowed to visit me.  

My surgeon kept saying I’d hit a turning point, where I’d wake up and just feel better.  It’s never happened.  I constantly feel pain in that area.  Any kind of movement just aggitates it.  About 6 weeks post op, I came down with a cough.  It lasted a good 5-6 weeks and I’m still not 100% over it.  I used to be able to apply slight pressure to the area and it helped and now I’m finding I’m having to push much deeper to get any relief.  I literally sneezed today and it brought me to tears.  

I have an appointment on Thursday.  I’ve reached out to the surgeon several times and he’s said big movements, coughs and sneezes will be painful for sometime.  But I hurt ALL THE TIME.  I literally feel like I’m being stabbed.  I can’t do anything.  I can’t get dressed without hurting.  I can’t play with my kids.  It’s changed how I do anything.  

Has anyone had a similar experience?  I’m terrified I’m going to have to have another surgery.  It is starting to cause me a lot of aniexty.  I just don’t think I can go through all that again.  I’m just really scared of what the surgeon may say Thursday.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I’m so sorry for your pain . My story is not much better .At 51 I had inguinal hernia with a mesh plug which the surgeon neglected to tell me 3 yrs ago . Right away I knew something was wrong after a few follow up visits  the surgeon said just to wait and it would get better . Pain was out of control . Next visit surgeon had moved out of state . Went thru numerous rehab excersizes and live on Vicodin after going to  several visits no surgeon will touch me . I know something is wrong . Pain management has done several injections  to deaden the nerve he neglect to fix while I was in surgery . My quality of life has changed so much . I must work . On top of everything I had just become a widow so we are barely surviving. I believe the plug has come loose . I am at my wits end . All I can advise is to be firm . You know your body . I wish nothing but the best . But instead of taking one case at its value they give cookie cutter advice and do not listen to people . I am finally am going to a lawyer which I am against but can’t take it much longer . Best of luck to you . ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.