3 months post op..... how do I look

Posted , 6 users are following.

Surgeon said I'm healing well... but to me it looks like its drifting back. I am getting physio at the moment for severe stiffness

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Looking good Ali, no swelling! Are you getting your physio on NHS or private? Please share your exercises! I am just over 4 months, only stiff in the mornings now. Happy healing!
    • Posted

I'm not sure how the foot us supposed to look after bunion surgery... Is it supposed to be totally straight? My big toe is definitely heading inwards again.. Does that mean bunion will return?

I do a lot of grabbing the towel exercises , pushing toe upwards against the skirting board and just physically moving the toe back and forth. It had completely seized up and hurt to walk 

• Posted

I would follow the doctors advice. It doesn't look bad to me and I know it is always scary..If you have screws in the big toe, it will feel stiff.

• Posted

You could ask the doctor if you could put rolled up cotton or something between your first and 2nd toe. I did that to prevent the big toe from overlapping the 2nd toe. After several years my second toe would hurt (the bone) I started massaging/rubbing Eucalyptus and peppermint oil all over and under my toe. It helped me. Also Lavender oil will heal any sores or sensitive areas.

• Posted

Hi Ali

Do u have any before surgery pix or early post op pics to compare?. The bunion site looks good but I agree yr toe curves inwards. Maybe because it is still stiff? From what I've read there are many different techniques and the Akin,s procedure which straightens out the end if the toe us favored by some surgeons and nit others. I had l foot dine 20 yrs ago with akin,s and toe is quite straight and is slightly shorterr than it was originally. My r/foot done nearly 5 weeks ago is not as straight and they did not do akin,s but having discussed with my surgeon if it does not stay straight enough it can be done as a separate procedure later on. At the moment am wearing a bunion splint to keep the toe in line which has helped a lot.

I have looked at bunion op pics on line and there are varying results which appear to be deemed as an acceptable correction. Have another chat with yr surgeon. What does yr Physio say do the have experience of post op exercises helping this significantly?

• Posted

I don't have Any pre surgery pics unfortunately but it was really really bad so I should be grateful for this. Surgeon said that if physio doesn't loosen up my toe I will need a procedure to pull it back up! Sounds horrendous!! Anything but that. I'm getting married next year so my end goal is to fit into semi normal shoes. Physio said when I started with her the toe only bent upwards 10 degrees and now I'm at 40 degrees .... Anyone else experience severe stiffness 
    • Posted

Hi Ali

Did u just get bunion done or did u have fusion of 2nd toe as well? It sounds like they may be talking abt akin procedure look at Rene s reply she had to ha e it done as separate procedure and it is relatively minor compared to bunion surgery. Check with yr surgeon which procedure they are considering. My toe is curved slight but because u had 2nd toe fused it shld not drift back any more fingers crossed. I must admit I don't know why they don't do akin at same time but they may have been worried abt over correction.

My toes very stiff T first but mu h better now.

Very good that yr Physio seeing improvement. But persevere with yr surgeon or ask for second opinion I you not happy. Your gp may be able to arrange this.

• Posted

My toe looks similar to this but I think it's the natural curve of the foot. If you feel unsure go back to see your consultant or try a toe seperator? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.