3 months post ORIF

Posted , 10 users are following.

and my foot is still turning very red/purple when I put it down. Is this normal? It also swells but not very much. It's mostly the color and hot feeling that are very bothersome. My bone is healed and I can weight bear as tolerated but I think I may just be afraid. I don't do a lot because it's really uncomfortable to have the foot down. If I just bite the bullet and start keeping it down will that help? Any advice appreciated as I am tired of just laying around get fat and lazy! I want to start leaving the house again!

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 3 and a half months past ORIF and 2 weeks past the op when 2 screws were removed. I now walk more or less normally but after walking my foot swells and sometimes goes purple. I also experience pins and neesdles in my toes and numbness of ligaments on top of my foot. I believe that all this is a normal part of the long healing process.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the reassuring post Anna! Can I please ask why you had the screws removed? I really believe that the ten small ones are fine but one of my two long screws is pressing on blood vessels and nerves adding to my pain and problems. It also feels like it wants to pop out of my skin. My doctor and husband say I'm wrong. So I would love to hear why you had them removed! Thank you!

• Posted

Jennifer, my doctors of the hospital were keen to have the two big screws removed. They told me that sometimes those screws break when left in and also that, if left in, they can limit the ankle movement. I now find that I no longer have the sensation that sonething is 'stuck' in my ankle and I have less swelling. By the way, after the screw removal op I was able to walk straight away and tdid not have much pain. Good luck with everything Jennifer.

• Posted

Hi Anna, I'm currently 4 weeks post-ORIF but they went ahead and scheduled my second surgery to remove one long screw in mid-September. My doctor said the long screw would have to be removed in order for me to get full range of motion back in my ankle because right now it's restricted. What scares me right now is that they're saying I won't be knocked out with anesthesia for the screw removal surgery and that it is classified as an outpatient surgery. What was your experience? I can't imagine being awake as they go back inside my foot to fetch the screw. 

• Posted

Dear gimpyleg.

Tell your docs to get you OUT completely,for your screw removal. ( I get my removed in September). It is really cruel to even suggest otherwise. I had discussed it with my surgeon. They are options in anesthesia and you don't have to be witnessing this unpleasant event. Good luck....the pre-op is enough for me.

Ps. Good decision, to get these big screws out. It makes sense ,in my case and many others too, but not for all also...every case/ankle is different.

Best wishes💛

• Posted

Hello Gimpyleg. I had the screws removed under the general anaeathetic and it was a day surgery as an outpatient. I was told to walk srtraight away with full weight bearing

I was given pain killers but did not really need them as the pain was bearable. After 2 weeks the dressing etc came off, the wound is healed and I am back to doing the full range of exercises to regain the movement. At some point weeks before my screws were removed, one hospital doctor had said that the screws "would be removed under the local anaesthetic because it was a small op". But the consultant on the day told me that removing the screws under the general makes it a quicker op for the doctors! Good luck.

• Posted

when you come back after hardware removal to activity as before the removal? and did you feel any improvement with your ankle range of motion.? ay regretion? I am planning to do mine soon, I have two big screws, and now after 3 months of surgey im frustrated with the limp i have ... I want to get rid of it and pain.. 
    • Posted

Anna! I feel so much more hopeful now thank you! My surgeon has an ego the size of the whole US. Arrogant and NEVER wrong. Absolutely dismissing my every concern because my foot "looks good". 

Sure, it looks great when I have it elevated. And within two minutes of lowering it it looks like someone ran it over with a semi truck! Lol! I am definitely going to find a surgeon willing to remove the screw. Thank you again and I wish you all the BEST!!🌼🌺??

• Posted

Thank you for responding Gimpy!😁 Another testament that doctors are aware that the long screws CAN cause issues!  I hope it all goes perfectly for you!!!??😁🌼🌞🌺

• Posted

There was not much regression. I definitely walk better now and no longer have the sensation that something is in the way. Today, 15vdays after screws removal my physio told me that I have virtually all movement in my ankle! The slight problems are very stiff tendons and ligaments on top of my foot. The physio thinks that they got traumatised again during screws removal but icing and massage should improve things .
  • Posted

I am a year out from bimalleoar surgery after a trimalleolar break. I am also 4 weeks out hardware removal. What a long difficult year! Along with swimming I recommend putting the foot down as you can tolerate and elevating and icing often. Of course talk to your dr but I found Motrin to help with inflammation as well. Amazon has a great leg cover if anyone still needed anything to keep dry while showering. Sometimes I would put an ankle ice “bracelet” ( also purchased from amazon) under the cover to help with the dependant swelling while in the shower. Go outside. Sit on the porch. Get out of your head. It is a struggle to be so inactive-I found so much solice in this site. I had no idea how much it was going to be a part of daily life lol, I was off work for 2 months.  The crutches made my arms go numb and the scooter-well, I fell off that big time twice and it caused some hip discomfort as well and I’m a healthy-ish late 30’s lol. I needn’t say clumsy. Anyhoo, a tear came to my eye when I walked outside the first time and I gained a lot of respect for anyone with a permanent disability. As the year went on I found I had a lot of pain with the hard ware so they took it out and I’ve been jogging and bicycling and it feels so good to feel almost no pain again. I scoured this site for tips and never was I disappointed. I even found most advice fairly intelligent and wise which is surprising for a forum sometimes! We all want to do better so I think that helps ❤️. I plan on doing a long bicycle ride in 3 weeks to christen my ankle in it’s mostly original state. 428 miles for Ragbrai! You will get there, everyday it feels like starting over but your are moving forward. Occasionally a set back occurs but keep at it.. Don’t forget to tell us your successes even if they are small and day to day, they are commendable!!! 

Ps sorry about your doggo-that must be so hard to clean up, ugh. Puppy pads maybe? And I gained some weight and lost some muscle but I’m getting back to taking care of that finally smile

• Posted

Chestnut,

I can't thank you enough for still responding to us here a whole year after! It gives invaluable advice and hope for a better day! I am so glad to hear how much better you are doing. And as soon as I am done responding to you I am headed to Amazon to look for an ice bracelet. I never heard of that but I'm excited to try it!

And holy cow!! That is a lot of miles! Please let us know how it goes and thank you so much again! So many blessings to you😁??💕🌼

• Posted

Jennifer

, an orthopedist in the hospital (in the UK) has told me that in USA the tendency is to leave the screws in whilst in the UK the doctors prefer to remove them, at least the big ones. All the best.

• Posted

Yeap, I'm in San Francisco, USA. I have heard that before, my is out in September....All the best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.