3 months still not walking after meniscectomy? Is that normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Looking for honest advice please. 

Had meniscectomy almost 3 months ago on 11/2/17. 

Did physical Therapy 2 times a week for 6 weeks. Ended in December.

I Still can not walk, I can take some painful limp type steps without crutches but have not seen any improvement with walking and unstable, my ROM is ok, but some pain in knee with some movements.  

I went back to dr he said he will give me a cortisone shot on 2/12/18 to see if it helps. ,

Original injury was June 2017 Torn medial Meniscus posterior horn, root intact. lateral is normal. surgery Nov 2nd 2017

What else should I ask or do?  Is this normal? cry I'm so frustrated, sad, it's been 3 months

Note

I have a partial ACL tear 20%-30% but DR says that is not why I can not walk he just says was a sever meniscectomy, He says I will walk though, I asked for more PT he said it won't help and do exercises at home. 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Halo

I feel so sad for you.

I know the frustration and although my operation was different (a TKR) it still left me nearly crippled and I have had to undergo further surgery with a different guy to try and fix the problem.

I am walking better but it’s still early days. The second op was the 15th January.

My advice to you would be to keep a record of everything. My first surgeon has denied saying something which he definitely did and my sister who lived in the USA for a time said I should have taped him when he said it.

It seems we are still to gullible over here!!

All the best.

• Posted

Dear Halo

I feel so sad for you.

I know the frustration and although my operation was different (a TKR) it still left me nearly crippled and I have had to undergo further surgery with a different guy to try and fix the problem.

I am walking better but it’s still early days. The second op was the 15th January.

My advice to you would be to keep a record of everything. My first surgeon has denied saying something which he definitely did and my sister who lived in the USA for a time said I should have taped him when he said it.

It seems we are still too gullible over here!!

All the best.

• Posted

Hi halo

Like Mary mine was also A TKR and fortunately for me a very successful one carried out by a great surgeon

if I was in your situation I would definitely be looking for a second opinion it sounds as though your op was done badly and as if shoving some cortisone in will cure it its your body demand a second opinion it could be your best way forward

I hope you can get it resolved quickly good luck.

• Posted

Hi there! I had the same operation on October 31st! Since this was the 2nd operation in a year for a torn meniscus, I knew enough to really baby the knee. It tore again very early on after the first surgery. I think the PT did it. So I spent the year limping, in constant pain, and I kept throwing my back out. It was the chiropractor who helped me the most. He said it was still inflamed and even ordered a copy of the MRI. He used cold laser therapy on my knee and gave me exercises to do, which helped tremendously! Eventually I couldn't stand the pain anymore and went back to the orthopedist asking for an MRI. It showed a tear in the same spot as the previous surgery.

So, now I must have overdone it trimming the Christmas tree, shopping and everything that goes with it. It swells up horribly. I sit on the couch for 3 or 4 days till it feels better. Then I start doing things, rinse and repeat! Last week when I felt good I was baking cookies and the horrible shooting, stabbing pain that takes your breath away happened. Have you had that? Anyway, I bent down to hold my knee and it buckled and I was on the floor! OMG it felt like the knee cap was twisted. I had to use crutches for 2 days. I called today and made an appointment. I want another MRI to make sure it's not torn again. It's a long, painful recovery. I can only advise you to see a chiropractor for the cold laser therapy and in 6 months ask for another MRI. You are not alone. I'm here for you. This surgery is brutal and painful and life changing. Hugs and prayers.

• Posted

Thanks for all the advise.

when I go for my shot I'm going to ask for another MRI, I would switch Dr's but I'm on Medi-Cal in US California and would take forever to switch but probably have to. 

• Posted

I tried switching. Guess what? If it's less than 2 years since surgery, no other doctor will touch you! I called around because I felt like I got botched the first time. So I had to go back to the same doctor for the 2nd surgery and he tried to tell me the MRI was probably wrong while he was seeing me before surgery! Ugh. He found an oblique tear line and behold a few minutes later. Why don't they listen to us? Anyway, I'm seeing him tomorrow. Wish me luck. I really don't want a cortisone shot because we did that last year and it seemed to make things worse. I'll let you know what happens. Of course today the knee isn't as swollen in painful as it has been. Keep me posted on your progress!

• Posted

Renee, how did you appointment go? and you mentioned the cortisone shots seem to make it worse, how?
    • Posted

I forgot to tell you about the "cold laser" treatment the chiropractor gave my back and knee! OMG it was like a miracle cure. After 5 treatments I felt a huge improvement in my knee. I was able to resume exercising with no swelling. It was amazing! Something you may want to look into. This chiropractor was a godsend. A young guy who really knew his stuff. I totally recommend it. The orthopedist doesn't have access to the cold laser. I asked him about it.

• Posted

Thanks for asking. Well the knee was still swollen. Check. Jumped off the table when he pressed on the knee. Check. Knee seems to be catching when bending. Check! Well, there's nothing I can do to help you! But your range of motion is great. Thanks, Doc. We talked for awhile. He did not recommend a Cortisone shot. Thank goodness. Last time I had it OMG the pain was 10 times worse within a few hours. That's why I don't recommend it. But that's just me. He did explain how he had to hunt to find the tear. He couldn't see it, but felt it. So we left it at maybe I'll get the gel shot in the knee. I'm not really sure about it.

Are you feeling any better? Oh, my back blew out Saturday. I couldn't walk. This I knew was coming. It's from limping. It happened last year too. The chiropractor fixed it then. So I sat around all weekend. The knee swelling has gone down and the back feels better.

• Posted

Thanks for the update Renne, and everyone, I get my shot tomorrow see what happens and need to look into the cold laser i'm reading about, 

I'm still the will be 4 months 3/2/2018 still not good. I thought the meniscus was so simple from what I read before surgery, not so much now.  

• Posted

I know. I thought once I had the surgery I'd be good as new! Not the case. Have you had any back problems yet from limping? Just curious. Glad you're checking out the cold laser therapy. It's pretty amazing as it promotes healing at the cellular level. It's just a plastic paddle that he holds on it for about a minute or two. I had it done about 7 times. It's funny, I went for my back and he honed right in on the exact spot on my knee that makes me jump in pain when it gets touched! These chiropractors are amazing. My guy is in his early 30s. He also got a copy of the MRI. I hope the shot helps you. Let me know how it goes. We're in this together!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.