3 week long periods with bright red blood and accompanied with the odd Uti

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm writing this because I've tried everything and am really very desperate at this point.

It is a long story and I will have to start at the beginning. In January I had a medical abortion which was a very difficult decision to make. On the day of termination I decided to also take the Depo Provera injection as I really didn't want to have to go through the difficult decision again. The nurse assured me it was the best route to take and I did. I was told to return for a top up injection at the end of March.

Whilst on depo provera my periods stopped completely. I suffered from weight gain and serious mood swings so decided to not take the injection again. Around the time I should have retaken the injection, my bleeding returned. I say bleeding rather than period because I have no idea if it was a period. Since the end of March until now (September) I have been having irregular bleeding that lasts anywhere between 2-3 weeks with 5 day gaps in between.

Out of concern, I went to teh doctor and asked if I could have a smear test. The results came back abnormal and I had to have colposcopy. The colposcopy showed some abnormal cells which were taken to the lab and came back as mild dysplacia amounting to CI1. Nothing to worry about apparently - just need to have another smear test in 6 months to check everything. The doctor presumed that the reason was HPV and that this should clear on its own.

The bleeding, he believed, was a separate issue that was hormonal and related to the Depo Provera which was still in my system. To help it come out my system, he put me on Progynova   2mg daily  for 8 days and Cycloprgynova  2 mg one daily for 21 days. He expected that after 5 days the bleeding would stop. 22 days later and it hasn't. I'm really very worried and concerned that something more serious is going on.

Accompanied with the bleeding, I have had 4 UTIs in the space of 7 months. Each time I went to the doctor and they put me on antibiotics. Out of concern, I had my bladder and kidneys checked and they said everything was fine. So I'm now thinking that the UTIs are trying to warn me of something else going on?

I really am very distressed and desperate at this point. I know that doctors advise that the Depo Provera interferes with your cycle but this is now on a very different level. My sex life is non-existant because I am so terrified that there is damage I don't know about. I often feel uncomfortable/dry/bloated in the area of my uterus and I don't know what to do.

I have recently moved abroad for my job where the doctors are costly and I find it difficult to express myself in the language. Any help/advise would be really appreciated. If anyone has been in a similar situation, please do let me know what you did or how things worked for you.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You may have to consider a D&C because the possibility of retained products of conception after the medical termination is real. Like the other doctors I think your HPV and UTI are separate items and that there is nothing serious underlying this. I do appreciate however that it must be very upsetting for you. Try to keep your spirits up - you will get through this.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I had always had a suspicion that it could have been that but it is reassuring to hear it from a professional. I have booked an transvaginal ultrasound with the doctor in the hope that we find the cause and have it resolved soon. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, did,you ever figure out what was going on? I'm having somewhat the same issues but I haven't had an abortion or even had sex recently (years). I havd to make my,Dr appt tom as the first visit my dr thinks it was from where I've been on birth control for 12 years then didn't take it for a couple months. She said it shouldve been stopped by now but I'm on day 14 and its even heavier, bright red, and worse. rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.