3 week on 40mg Citalopram and struggling

Posted , 4 users are following.

On my 3rd week upping my dose on Citalopram from 30 to 40 and feel so much anxiety and depression I feel like I'm not on anything- will this pass?? I'm back at doctors tomorrow to discuss why I'm not feeling anything near well at the Moment- any advice much appreciated guys I need your support

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anglio

sorry you are going through a difficult time right now. Do you mind me asking how long you have you been on citalopram altogether? This medication does certainly heighten anxiety. Did your doctor give you any diazepam to help you through the adjustment? They were a life saver to me at the time. My personal view Anglio is, if after three months of citalopram you feel no significant improvement, please think of changing to another AD. I was on citalopram for six months, starting at 10mg and working my way up to 40 mg. I was unlucky it was my first AD and didn't work for me. On reflection I should have given up waiting after the first three months and switched to another AD but I was scared of going through side effects all over again! It's tricky to find the right one that works for you.

wishing you better, hope to hear how your doc appointment goes

god bless ♥♥

• Posted

I've been on 40mg for 3 years and I felt fine along with normal levels of anxiety but changed to 30mg in summer as felt great - had awful xmas due to two deaths in family and another family member getting cancer.. My wife is due anytime now for baby no2 which isn't helping either, tomorrow is 3 weeks upping dosage and I honestly feel so poorly . Thanks x
    • Posted

Oh anglio

i am so sorry for your loses. Until your brain readjusts back to the higher dose you will feel rather poorly. Would you consider asking your doctor for a small quantity of diazepam, just to help you over this hurdle? I think this or something similar would really help you whilst your struggling.

My heart goes out to you as you are trying to manage bereavement as well as feeling so unwell. Please have a chat with your doctor and also mention your ongoing concerns for your family member recently diagnosed with cancer and any tools / sevices they can recommend to help you cope with all this. I hope the arrival of your new baby will bring you some comfort over this difficult time.

god bless ♥♥

• Posted

Hey Anglio, Good that your seeing the doc, my experience of upping the dosage was similar anxiety and depression until brain adapted.  
  • Posted

It's normal.  It may take a few months to see the positive effects.  You will get over it.
  • Posted

Anglio, I am entering my fourth week on citalopram this Sunday and just today I feel a little better, less anxiety.  Sounds like you've got a lot of things going on in your life.  I truly hope things get better for you soon.

Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.