3 weeks after ankle surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi peoples,

I had surgery to fix my trimalleoral fracture three weeks ago. The first two weeks were excruciating, but for the last few days it's been so much better. Yesterday and this morning I barely had any pain at all. And then suddenly, this afternoon, the whole foot is throbbing, there is burning pain all over and even my calf hurts. I see no redness so it's not infection. I just want to know if this is normal? To get to a place where you are pretty comfortable and then you have a horrible day?? It is very hot today for the first time and we are expecting rain. I wonder if it could be weather related. I'm really sad because it was so nice to be able to get comfortable and feel no pain the past few days. I feel like I'm at square one!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

There are so many ups and downs when there is ankle surgery involved! I had a decent 3rd week and then I was feeling the same as you. Are you in a cast? I was in a cast for 4 weeks after the 2 week splint was off.  Once the cast came off my doc said to start walking on it. And it hurt pretty bad. Still have pain. Its normal. You will know when to see him/her and ask what is the norm and what is maybe a problem.

Good luck!

Rose

• Posted

Thank you for replying Rose smile 

I only had a cast for the first ten days. When they removed it, and removed all my staples, I was given a boot. I only wear the boot when I am up and moving. 

I find it it crazy that it can go from NO pain to ALL the pain so fast!  I hope that you are in a lot less pain now and doing great! I see my dr in three weeks but will call sooner if I see anything alarming. I figure if my incision is good and everything looks fine it has to be nerve pain.

How 

• Posted

Hey Jennifer, 

Oh the pain comes and goes. Walking for me is still a challenge. I mean, I can walk, but only for about 45 to an hour with out the burning feeling and now my legs are cramping because of all the ways I find my feet turning. 

I've also had 3 surgeries in less than a year so while I am recouping from one and then had the other and so on.  But day by day I do a bit more. Today I tried to rake my yard! LOL Umm.. no.. I made it about 15 mins. LOL 

I just feel like if I push myself day to day just for a bit I'll be a head of myself ..... 

Oh and the nerve pain is real! My doc told me they are knitting themselves back together in there. Makes sense! 

Take Care, 

Rose

• Posted

Yes I think this is normal.I am 6 months post op and some days great then I get bad days.Its all part of it am afraid.I have joined a page on facebook where advice is given.If your worried go and get it checked out.
    • Posted

Thank you Sarah! It's nice to have a bit of reassurance smile  I have had many medical things but never something like this so I have nothing to compare the healing cycle too. My surgeon is a brilliant surgeon but not a good after care kind of guy. He makes you almost feel bad for asking. As long as my foot /ankle looks okay he just doesn't understand why I'm asking. It's frustrating to say the least. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Jenn

• Posted

Jennifer,

Yes, yes, and yes!- injured ankles can be diabolically unpredictable during a long recovery process. You will have a stretch where things go swimmingly well-- then the bottom suddenly falls out and your old symptoms may return with a vengeance (for a while).

Weather changes are well known to aggravate and cause flare ups in musculoskeletal conditions, even more so if one is weather sensitive to begin with (something like a quarter of population is weather sensitive to a degree). So sometimes we just have to grin and bear it, or stay calm and carry on.

Try to eliminate as much inflammatory junk food out of your diet as possible-- that will reduce your body's inflammation load and help reduce the pain.

Try to live an extremely healthy lifestyle and you will reap even more rewards.

Good luck.

• Posted

K,

Thank you so much!  As long as I know it's all par for the course I can deal. I am very holistic and am on a low inflammation diet. I  also take turmeric daily instead of any pain meds.

To keep my blood thinner and flowing good (am terrified of clots) I am taking ginger and garlic. I know the turmeric helps with this as well.

I get up as much as I can but at 48 my balance stinks so I always end up back on the bed or couch with my leg up. I can understand why there are articles relating the trimalleoral injury with severe depression. It really does stink. I'm so grateful to these forums though. They have really helped!  Thank you so much for letting me know this horrid pain can come and go. I had really thought I was on the up and up. My foot even seemed more dis colored and bruised. And I did nothing to it at all. Today is much better, like yesterday never happened!

thanks again,

jenn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.