3 weeks after ear tubes inserted - still ringing and muffled hearing

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been dealing with fluid in my ear and poor hearing (with a caved in eardrum) since last July.  Visited various ENTs with different solutions.  Steroid packs, nasal steroid sprays, etc.  Those solutions only provided temporary relief.

The last ENT I went to suggested ear tubes (as the others did but I was unsure about the process), and had them placed on June 18th.  

The plus is that I no longer feel the fluid sloshing around.  

Unfortunately, like I said, I still have ringing and muffled hearing, as well as popping when I open and close my mouth or swallow sometimes.

I explained this to the Dr. when I saw her for my post-op earlier this past week and she ordered a hearing test for next month.

Is what I am experiencing the normal part of the healing process for tubes, or should I have some improvement in hearing at this point?

Is there any other solutions that I should as my doctor about to try?  I've responded well to steroid packs (Medrol) in the past, but only lasted temporarily.  I've read about long term tapered Predisone treatment as a solution for long term ETD like I've had.

Any help would be appreciated!  I really did not want the tubes put in b/c of the possible negative side effects or issues on record, but I am at the point I need permanent relief after dealing with this for a year.

Thanks!!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi jason

My story

I got sick then developed etd but I'd say very mild

Symptoms i had were sounds in my ears

Hearing sensitivity which has calmed down

Mucus in my throat

Ear pain and itching

Your problems will resolve but will take time

Mine took a month to get better

I didn't take medication or any nasal sprays

Just steam and time to heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.